Current:Home > InvestGuinea-Bissau’s leader calls a shootout an attempted coup, heightening tensions in West Africa -Capitatum
Guinea-Bissau’s leader calls a shootout an attempted coup, heightening tensions in West Africa
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 06:43:41
BISSAU, Guinea Bissau (AP) — A shootout in Guinea-Bissau’s capital Friday was an attempted coup, President Umaro Sissoco Embalo said Sunday after a meeting with security forces, confirming fears over the latest threat to democracy in the increasingly volatile and coup-hit West Africa.
“They attempted a coup and failed to materialize their objective,” Embalo said, after members of the National Guard command improperly released two ministers detained over alleged corruption, resulting in a shootout with the Presidential Palace Battalion.
During a visit to the National Guard command in Bissau, Embalo said Victor Tchongo, the head of the National Guard, has been dismissed and “will pay dearly” for the attempt to depose the president.
“You are all betrayed by your commander … (and) this is why we advise you to distance yourself from politicians and do your service to the nation,” he told officers.
The attempted coup is the second in West and Central Africa in a week after last week’s failed coup in Sierra Leone. It further raises tensions in the region where coups have surged with eight military takeovers since 2020, including in Niger and Gabon this year.
West Africa’s regional economic bloc of ECOWAS — to which Guinea-Bissau belongs — noted the incident with “deep concern” and expressed “full solidarity with the people and constitutional authority of Guinea-Bissau.”
After returning from the United Nations’ COP28 climate summit on Saturday night, Embalo suggested to reporters that Tchongo of the National Guard was not acting alone.
“Tchongo was ordered by someone,” The Democrat, a local newspaper, quoted him as saying. “Tchongo is not crazy about blowing up the Judiciary Police cells and removing the minister of finance and the secretary of state. This is an attempted coup d’état and there will be serious consequences for everyone involved.”
The small nation of Guinea-Bissau has endured multiple coups since gaining independence from Portugal nearly five decades ago.
However, unlike in other coups in West Africa which have been inspired by perceived bad governance, the shootout in Guinea-Bissau started as the members of the Presidential Palace Battalion tried to rearrest two government officials — Economy and Finance Minister Suleimane Seidi and Treasury Secretary António Monteiro.
Both were being questioned over the use of government funds before the members of the National Guard secretly released them, local media reported.
Guinea-Bissau’s semi-presidential system limits the president’s powers by allowing the majority party in the parliament to appoint the Cabinet. As a result, the National Guard – which is under the Ministry of Interior – is largely controlled by the opposition-dominated parliament.
Tensions have also remained between Embalo and a coalition of opposition groups that won the majority in Guinea Bissau’s parliament in June, more than one year after the president dissolved the parliament.
Embalo, a former army general, was declared the winner of a December 2019 runoff presidential election which his opponent contested. He survived a February 2022 coup attempt that he asserted had “to do with our fight against narco-trafficking” and has since then cracked down on civic freedoms while government bodies have lost significant independence, according to analysts.
—-
Asadu reported from Abuja, Nigeria.
veryGood! (683)
Related
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Antonio Pierce handed eight-year show cause for Arizona State recruiting violations
- Ron Hale, retired 'General Hospital' soap opera star, dies at 78
- Texas man sought in wounding of small town’s police chief
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- Solar flares may cause faint auroras across top of Northern Hemisphere
- Dockworkers’ union suspends strike until Jan. 15 to allow time to negotiate new contract
- N.C. Health Officials Issue Guidelines for Thousands of Potentially Flooded Private Wells
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Dodgers legend and broadcaster Fernando Valenzuela on leave to focus on health
Ranking
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- US nuclear weapon production sites violated environmental rules, federal judge decides
- Singer El Taiger Found With Gunshot Wound to the Head in Miami
- Anti-abortion leaders undeterred as Trump for the first time says he’d veto a federal abortion ban
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- The Hills Alum Jason Wahler and Wife Ashley Wahler Expecting Baby No. 3
- Get 30 Rings for $8.99, Plus More Early Amazon Prime Day 2024 Jewelry Deals for 68% Off
- With 'The Woke Agenda,' Calgorithm propels California football into social media spotlight
Recommendation
JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
Jennifer Hudson Hilariously Confronts Boyfriend Common on Marriage Plans
Search continues for missing 16-year-old at-risk Texas girl days after Amber Alert issued
Drew Barrymore Details Sexiest Kiss With Chloë Sevigny
RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
Jobs report is likely to show another month of modest but steady hiring gains
Blake Shelton Shares Unseen Photos of “Favorite Girl” Gwen Stefani on Her Birthday
Why Jordyn Woods and Boyfriend Karl-Anthony Towns Are Sparking Engagement Rumors