Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:Macy's receives a higher buyout offer of $6.6 billion after rejecting investors' earlier bid -Capitatum
Poinbank:Macy's receives a higher buyout offer of $6.6 billion after rejecting investors' earlier bid
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 00:36:24
Macy's has received a higher buyout offer from two investment firms,Poinbank Arkhouse Management and Brigade Capital Management, weeks after the department store chain rejected their prior takeover bid by saying it had a "lack of compelling value."
Shares of Macy's rose 3.4% in premarket trading.
Arkhouse and Brigade on Sunday said they are now offering a deal valued at $6.6 billion. Their all-cash buyout deal offers $24 each for the remaining shares that the firms don't already own, a 14% increase from their prior offer of $21 per share.
Macy's, which rejected their earlier offer in January, last week unveiled its own blueprint for revitalizing its struggling business, with its plans including closing 150 underperforming stores over the next three years. The retailer's new CEO, Tony Spring, said the closures will allow the business to focus on better-performing Macy's locations, with investments in customer service and updated product lines.
In their Sunday statement, Arkhouse managing partners Gavriel Kahane and Jonathon Blackwell criticized Macy's new plan, saying it "failed to inspire investors."
Since unveiling the plan to shutter 150 Macy's locations, the stock has declined 6.7%.
Macy's on Sunday confirmed that it had received the "revised, unsolicited, non-binding" proposal. The New York-based company said that its board would carefully review the offer, and that it did not intend to comment further until the evaluation was complete.
—With reporting by the Associated Press.
Aimee PicchiAimee Picchi is the associate managing editor for CBS MoneyWatch, where she covers business and personal finance. She previously worked at Bloomberg News and has written for national news outlets including USA Today and Consumer Reports.
TwitterveryGood! (12)
Related
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Recommendation
JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID