Current:Home > ContactJimmy Butler has a new look, and even the Miami Heat were surprised by it -Capitatum
Jimmy Butler has a new look, and even the Miami Heat were surprised by it
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 04:37:40
MIAMI (AP) — Jimmy Butler had a new look for Media Day, and the NBA world immediately took notice.
The Miami Heat forward arrived for the team’s first official day of work this season with piercings — eye, lip and nose — along with a new hairstyle and his fingernails painted black.
It’s become a trend of sorts for Butler, who went through the Media Day gamut last year with dreadlocks in a deviation from his usual look.
“I’m very emotional right now. This is my emo state and I like this. This is me,” Butler said. “This is how I’m feeling as of late.”
Coaches greeted Butler with smiles and laughs. Teammates, it seemed, were caught a bit off guard. Heat center Bam Adebayo — who hadn’t seen his teammate before meeting with reporters — thought someone had photoshopped something when a reporter showed him photos of Butler’s look.
“That is not real. ... That is (expletive) hilarious,” Adebayo said.
Added Heat guard Tyler Herro: “He told me this was his Halloween today.”
Still unclear: If Butler will keep the look when Miami opens practice on Tuesday. The team will hold camp at Florida Atlantic University in nearby Boca Raton.
WEMBY MANIA
Victor Wembanyama’s first Media Day in San Antonio was Monday, and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich says he has a simple plan to handle all the buzz that will surround the No. 1 draft pick this season.
Pop’s plan: Just roll with it.
“You all are going to do what you do. Fans are going to do what they do,” Popovich said. “But because I know the players and because he’s got such high character and he’s used to this — this isn’t the first time that he’s gotten attention — I think just handling it organically is better.”
That said, Popovich does have a specific plan when it comes to the team’s travel arrangements.
“If there are people hanging on the top of the bus, we’ve got to get them off,” Popovich said. “Short of that, we’ll be OK.”
Also, after a summer when Wembanyama’s height was oft-discussed — 7-foot-4? 7-foot-5? — the Spurs are still listing him at 7-foot-3.
RUBIO UPDATE
Ricky Rubio remains away from the Cleveland Cavaliers as they open camp while the Spanish guard continues focusing on his mental health.
Rubio said he was stepping away from the game this summer, when he was scheduled to play for Spain in the Basketball World Cup. There is no timetable for his return.
“We remain fully supportive of Ricky and his efforts, which for now are best continued away from the team and have excused his absence from camp,” the Cavaliers said Monday in a news release. “We remain in regular communication and consultation with Ricky and will continue to assist him in any way possible.”
The team declined further comment.
Rubio asked in early August that his “privacy be respected so that I can face these moments and be able to give more information when the time comes.”
Rubio has played in the league for 12 seasons, appearing with Minnesota, Utah, Phoenix and Cleveland. He missed the majority of the past two seasons while recovering from a torn left ACL and returned to the Cavs primarily as a reserve for 33 games at the end of last season. He began playing pro ball as a 14-year-old in Spain, nearly two decades ago.
BALL’S FUTURE
Chicago Bulls point guard Lonzo Ball insisted he will play again despite a series of left knee surgeries that have derailed his promising career.
“I’m only 25,” he said Monday. “I feel like the rehab process has been going well so far, no setbacks. So for me, it’s just keeping my head up, just keep doing the work.”
Ball said he is about halfway through the rehab process from a cartilage transplant in March — his third operation on the knee in a little more than a year. He will miss his second consecutive season.
Ball plans to split time between Chicago and his home in Los Angeles as he works his way back. He hasn’t played since Jan. 14, 2022.
“The surgery was a really big surgery,” Ball said. “We all came together with a plan moving forward. It’s not really a set timeline, but I pretty much have this whole year to get as healthy as possible and get ready to play next season.”
KOLOKO OUT
Christian Koloko won’t be taking part in training camp with the Toronto Raptors. The team announced Monday that he’s still dealing with “ongoing respiratory issues” and will not participate in the workouts that start in Vancouver on Tuesday.
He averaged 3.1 points and 2.9 rebounds as a rookie last season.
___
AP Sports Writer Andrew Seligman in Chicago contributed to this report.
___
AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/nba
veryGood! (3235)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- How hundreds of passengers escaped a burning Japan Airlines plane: I can only say it was a miracle
- Georgia deputy killed after being hit by police car during chase
- See Every Bachelor Nation Star Who Made Gerry Turner and Theresa Nist's Wedding Guest List
- Sam Taylor
- Mexico’s president clarifies that 32 abducted migrants were freed, not rescued
- Trains collide on Indonesia’s main island of Java, killing at least 3 people
- Shaquille O'Neal will become first Orlando Magic player to have his jersey retired
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has been released from prison on parole, authorities say
Ranking
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- What’s Going On With the Goats of Arizona
- Katt Williams accuses Cedric the Entertainer of stealing his 'best joke' from the '90s
- Where is Jeffrey Epstein's island — and what reportedly happened on Little St. James?
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Oscar Pistorius is set to be released on parole. He will be strictly monitored until December 2029
- Make these 5 New Year's resolutions to avoid scams this year
- See Every Bachelor Nation Star Who Made Gerry Turner and Theresa Nist's Wedding Guest List
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
MetLife Stadium to remove 1,740 seats for 2026 World Cup, officials hoping to host final
The US Tennis Association is reviewing its safeguarding policies and procedures
Family whose son died in accidental shooting fights to change gun safety laws
Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
Nikki Haley’s Republican rivals are ramping up their attacks on her as Iowa’s caucuses near
Mississippi city enacts curfew in an effort to curb youth violence. Critics say measures are ineffective.
Jeffrey Epstein document release highlights his sprawling connections across states