Current:Home > MyFastexy Exchange|Al Pacino says Oscars producers asked him to omit reading best picture nominees -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|Al Pacino says Oscars producers asked him to omit reading best picture nominees
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:57:55
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Al Pacino says he was following the instructions of the Oscars producers when he omitted the names of the best picture nominees while announcing the winner of the show’s biggest category.
The Fastexy ExchangeOscar-winning actor was Sunday night’s final presenter and announced “Oppenheimer” as the best picture winner without naming the full slate of nominees.
“I just want to be clear it was not my intention to omit them, rather a choice by the producers not to have them said again since they were highlighted individually throughout the ceremony. I was honored to be a part of the evening and chose to follow the way they wished for this award to be presented,” Pacino said in a statement Monday afternoon.
“I realize being nominated is a huge milestone in one’s life and to not be fully recognized is offensive and hurtful. I say this as someone who profoundly relates with filmmakers, actors and producers so I deeply empathize with those who have been slighted by this oversight and it’s why I felt it necessary to make this statement.”
Pacino is a nine-time acting nominee, who won best actor for 1992’s “Scent of a Woman.”
The Oscars started late and ended in a respectable time — under last year’s runtime — in part because Pacino skipped reading all the nominees for best picture.
The nominated films — “American Fiction,” “Anatomy of a Fall,” “Barbie,” “The Holdovers,” “Killers of the Flower Moon,” “Maestro,” “Oppenheimer,” “Past Lives,” “Poor Things” and “The Zone of Interest” — all were featured with montages during the show.
But Pacino’s abrupt presentation — saying “And the Oscar goes to ... ” before eventually announcing “my eyes see ‘Oppenheimer,’” left many viewers confused.
It wasn’t the only category to omit a reading of the nominees. The nominated original songs were all performed on the show, and the announcement that “What Was I Made For?” from “Barbie” had won was made without listing them again.
Oscars producer Molly McNearney told the trade outlet Variety that skipping the reading of the nominees was intentional.
“It was a creative decision we made because we were very worried that the show was going to be long,” she said. “By the time you get to the end of the show, you’ve seen all ten best picture clip packages. People just want to hear who wins, and they’re pretty ready for the show to be over. At least that’s what we anticipated.”
She added: “I apologize if our decision to not have to read through all those nominations put him in a tough spot.”
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Judge dismisses two suits filed by man whose work as informant inspired the movie ‘White Boy Rick’
- Deposed Nigerien president petitions West African regional court to order his release, reinstatement
- Judge orders Phoenix to permanently clear the city’s largest homeless encampment by Nov. 4
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Bank of America increases minimum wage for fifth consecutive year
- Judge dismisses charges against Vermont deputy in upstate New York brawl and shootout
- Lana Del Rey says she wishes her album went viral like Waffle House photos
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Swarm of bees in potting soil attack, kill 59-year-old Kentucky man, coroner says
Ranking
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Record number of Australians enroll to vote in referendum on Indigenous Voice to Parliament
- Did your kids buy gear in Fortnite without asking you? The FTC says you could get a refund
- Guatemalans rally on behalf of president-elect, demonstrating a will to defend democracy
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Boston College suspends swimming and diving program after hazing incident
- Pro-Trump attorney Lin Wood to be prosecution witness in Georgia election case
- Prince William says 'optimism' and 'hope' is key to climate reform during Earthshot Prize in NYC
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Normal operations return to MGM Resorts 10 days after cyberattack, casino company says
Saints safety Marcus Maye suspended for violating NFL’s substance abuse policy
UNESCO adds World War I remembrance sites to its prestigious heritage registry
FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
Cowboys' Jerry Jones wants more NFL owners of color. He has a lot of gall saying that now.
Crash involving school van kills teen and injures 5 others, including 2 adults
Sports Illustrated Resorts are coming to the US, starting in Tuscaloosa, Alabama