Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:Bill Maher postpones HBO 'Real Time' return during writers' strike following backlash -Capitatum
EchoSense:Bill Maher postpones HBO 'Real Time' return during writers' strike following backlash
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 03:08:48
Bill Maher has postponed his return to HBO's "Real Time" during the ongoing writers' strike following pushback from Writers Guild of America members.
After announcing on EchoSenseSept. 13 that he planned to bring "Real Time" back without writers, Maher, 67, wrote on X , formerly Twitter, Monday that he had reversed his decision. The comedian and satirist will hold off production of the show until the strike ends.
"My decision to return to work was made when it seemed nothing was happening and there was no end in sight to this strike," Maher wrote Monday. "Now that both sides have agreed to go back to the negotiating table, I’m going to delay the return of 'Real Time,' for now, and hope they can finally get this done."
Last week, Maher argued that the "important" writers' strike, which started May 2, has gone on for too long to the detriment of his provocative current event show and its staff.
"I love my writers, I am one of them, but I’m not prepared to lose an entire year and see so many below-the-line people suffer so much," wrote Maher, who said he would "honor" the spirit of the strike by not using writers, or written segments such as a monologue. The first "Real Time" episode would have aired Sept. 22.
Maher would have been the first late-night host to return to air during the Writers Guild of America strike. Union representatives immediately vowed to picket the "Real Time" filming. Political commentator Keith Olbermann called the returning show "the new weekly SCAB edition" on his X account, and called Maher "selfish and unfunny."
Maher's reversal comes a day after Drew Barrymore announced on Sept. 17 that she was pausing the return of her namesake talk show following backlash and picketing at her New York City TV studio during filming.
“I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over,” Barrymore posted on Instagram on Sunday. “I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today.”
Hours after Barrymore's announcement, CBS' "The Talk" announced it would hold off airing new episodes until the strike ends. The syndicated "Jennifer Hudson Show" has also paused production and delayed its own Season 2 premiere.
veryGood! (541)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Joe Jonas Returns to the Stage After Sophie Turner’s Lawsuit Filing
- Christian McCaffrey and the 49ers win 13th straight in the regular season, beat the Giants 30-12
- Youngstown City Council Unanimously Votes Against an ‘Untested and Dangerous’ Tire Pyrolysis Plant
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Five things that could make NFL Week 3's underwhelming schedule surprisingly exciting
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro denies proposing coup to military leaders
- Zendaya Sets the Record Straight on Tom Holland Engagement Rumors
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Amazon Prime Video will soon come with ads, or a $2.99 monthly charge to dodge them
Ranking
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Nicki Minaj's husband Kenneth Petty placed on house arrest after threatening Offset in video
- 'DWTS' contestant Matt Walsh walks out; ABC premiere may be delayed amid Hollywood strikes
- Cowboys star CB Trevon Diggs tears ACL in practice. It’s a blow for a defense off to a great start
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Bachelor Nation’s Danielle Maltby Says Michael Allio Breakup Was “Not a Mutual Decision”
- Nicki Minaj's husband Kenneth Petty placed on house arrest after threatening Offset in video
- India’s Parliament passes law that will reserve 33% of legislature seats for women from 2029
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
BTS member Suga begins alternative military service in South Korea
Lizzo facing new lawsuit from former employee alleging harassment, discrimination
Rupert Murdoch steps down as chairman of Fox and News Corp; son Lachlan takes over
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
'Sex Education' teaches valuable lessons in empathy
$70M Powerball winner, who was forced to reveal her identity, is now a fierce advocate for anonymity
Nick Saban should have learned from Italian vacation: Fall of a dynasty never pleasant