Current:Home > MarketsDonald Trump moves to halt hush money proceedings, sentencing after asking federal court to step in -Capitatum
Donald Trump moves to halt hush money proceedings, sentencing after asking federal court to step in
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:46:00
NEW YORK (AP) — Former President Donald Trump’s lawyers moved Friday to halt proceedings in his New York hush money criminal case and postpone next month’s sentencing indefinitely while he fights to have a federal court intervene and potentially overturn his felony conviction.
In a letter to the judge presiding over the case in state court, Trump’s lawyers asked that he hold off on a decision, slated for Sept. 16, on Trump’s request to overturn the verdict and dismiss the indictment in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent presidential immunity ruling.
Trump’s lawyers also urged the trial judge, Juan M. Merchan, to postpone Trump’s Sept. 18 sentencing indefinitely while the U.S. District Court in Manhattan weighs their request late Thursday that it seize the case from the state court where it was tried.
Trump’s lawyers said delaying the proceedings is the “only appropriate course” as they seek to have the federal court rectify a verdict they say was tainted by violations of the Republican presidential nominee’s constitutional rights and the Supreme Court’s ruling that gives ex-presidents broad protections from prosecution.
If the case is moved to federal court, Trump’s lawyers said they will then seek to have the verdict overturned and the case dismissed on immunity grounds. They previously asked Merchan to delay Trump’s sentencing until after the November election. He hadn’t ruled on that request as of Friday.
“There is no good reason to sentence President Trump prior to November 5, 2024, if there is to be a sentencing at all, or to drive the post-trial proceedings forward on a needlessly accelerated timeline,” Trump’s lawyers Todd Blanche and Emil Bove wrote.
The letter, dated Thursday, was not added to the docket in Trump’s state court case until Friday.
Merchan did not immediately respond. The Manhattan district attorney’s office, which prosecuted Trump’s case, declined to comment. The office objected to Trump’s previous effort to move the case out of state court last year and has fought his attempt to get the case dismissed on immunity grounds.
Trump was convicted in May of 34 felony counts of falsifying business records to conceal a $130,000 hush money payment to porn actor Stormy Daniels, whose affair allegations threatened to disrupt his 2016 presidential run. Trump has denied her claim and said he did nothing wrong.
Falsifying business records is punishable by up to four years behind bars. Other potential sentences include probation or a fine.
The Supreme Court’s July 1 ruling reins in prosecutions of ex-presidents for official acts and restricts prosecutors in pointing to official acts as evidence that a president’s unofficial actions were illegal.
Trump’s lawyers have argued that prosecutors rushed to trial instead of waiting for the Supreme Court’s presidential immunity decision, and that prosecutors erred by showing jurors evidence that should not have been allowed under the ruling, such as former White House staffers describing how he reacted to news coverage of the hush money deal and tweets he sent while president in 2018.
Trump’s lawyers had previously invoked presidential immunity in a failed bid last year to get the hush money case moved from state court to federal court.
veryGood! (8249)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- FBI, Justice Department investigating racist mass texts sent following the election
- More than 500K space heaters sold on Amazon, TikTok recalled after 7 fires, injury
- Meet Chloe East, the breakout star of new religious horror movie 'Heretic' with Hugh Grant
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Horoscopes Today, November 8, 2024
- California Gov. Newsom fined over delays in reporting charitable donations
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs seeks bail, citing changed circumstances and new evidence
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Kate Middleton Makes Rare Appearance With Royal Family at Festival of Remembrance
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- How many points did Cooper Flagg score tonight? Freshman gets double-double despite cramps
- Beware of flood-damaged vehicles being sold across US. How to protect yourself.
- See Michelle Yeoh Debut Blonde Bob at the Wicked's L.A. Premiere
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Slower winds aid firefighters battling destructive blaze in California
- 'Like herding cats': Llamas on the loose in Utah were last seen roaming train tracks
- Obama relatives settle racial bias dispute with private school in Milwaukee
Recommendation
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
Wicked Los Angeles Premiere: See All the Celebrity Red Carpet Fashion
Cynthia Erivo Proves She Can Defy Gravity at the Wicked Premiere
After impressive Georgia win, there's no denying Lane Kiffin is a legit ball coach
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Alabama high school football player died from a heart condition, autopsy finds
Democrat Andrea Salinas wins reelection in Oregon’s 6th District
Nico Iamaleava injury update: Why did Tennessee QB leave game vs. Mississippi State?