Current:Home > FinanceEthermac|17-year-old suspect in the New York stabbing of a dancer is indicted on a hate-crime murder charge -Capitatum
Ethermac|17-year-old suspect in the New York stabbing of a dancer is indicted on a hate-crime murder charge
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:14:15
NEW YORK (AP) — A 17-year-old was indicted on Ethermaca hate-crime murder charge in a stabbing that followed taunts and confrontation over a group of men dancing shirtless to Beyoncé as they gassed up their car, prosecutors said Thursday.
Prosecutors concluded O’Shae Sibley’s death was motivated by anti-Black and anti-LGBTQ bias, Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said.
“It’s clear to me, under the circumstances of this case, that in substantial part, this attack was caused because people were offended by Mr. Sibley and his friends dancing and celebrating,” Gonzalez said.
The suspect is due in court Friday to answer the charge. It mirrors the charge on which he was arrested last week. If convicted, he faces at least 20 years in prison.
The Associated Press sent a text message to his attorney, Mark Pollard, seeking comment. Pollard’s voicemail box was full. The teen’s grandmother told the Daily News he was defending himself. Prosecutors have not released the suspect’s name.
The chain of events that ended in Sibley’s July 29 death began when he and his friends were dancing at a pump at a Brooklyn gas station, and another group of people began taunting them, authorities said.
Security camera video showed the two groups arguing for a few minutes. Both sides walked away, and then Sibley and a friend returned and confronted one of the others, who had stayed behind recording on his phone.
In the video, Sibley, 28, could be seen following that person and then lunging at him before the two disappeared out of the camera’s frame. A moment later, Sibley walked backward into view, checking his side, then collapsed to the sidewalk.
“What the video shows is that Mr. Sibley was rightfully in a position to speak out and protect himself and his friends from anti-gay and anti-Black slurs, and that what occurred after that was a crime,” said Gonzalez, a Democrat. He noted that Sibley and his friends were unarmed.
“Defending yourself from the anti-gay or anti-Black comments, arguing back, it’s not a cause for someone to take a weapon and do what was done in this case,” the prosecutor said. He added that he was confident the charges would be proven at trial.
Sibley performed with the dance company Philadanco in his native Philadelphia and in New York and took classes with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater’s Ailey Extension program. He used dance to celebrate his LGBTQ identity in works such as “Soft: A Love Letter to Black Queer Men,” choreographed by Kemar Jewel.
About 200 people attended Sibley’s funeral Tuesday at a historic opera house in Philadelphia. His death has prompted an outpouring of tributes from politicians and celebrities, including Beyoncé and filmmaker Spike Lee.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Swedish dockworkers are refusing to unload Teslas at ports in broad boycott move
- Career year? These seven college football assistant coaches are due for a big payday
- 'The Crown' shines in its final season — just remember it's not the History Channel
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Biden and Mexico’s leader will meet in California. Fentanyl, migrants and Cuba are on the agenda
- 11 ex-police officers get 50 years in prison for massacre near U.S. border in Mexico
- Authorities arrest man in death of Jewish protester in California
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- RSV is straining some hospitals, and US officials are releasing more shots for newborns
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Man accused of abducting, beating woman over 4-day period pleads not guilty
- AP Week in Pictures: Asia
- GM autoworkers approve new contract, securing wage increases
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- House Ethics Committee report on George Santos finds substantial evidence of wrongdoing
- Aid to Gaza halted with communications down for a second day, as food and water supplies dwindle
- 'The Crown' shines in its final season — just remember it's not the History Channel
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
House Ethics Committee report on George Santos finds substantial evidence of wrongdoing
Argentina’s Peronist machine is in high gear to shore up shaky votes before the presidential runoff
U.S. business leaders meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Selling the O.C.’s Alex Hall Calls Out Tyler Stanaland After He “Swooned” and “Disappeared” on Her
Alex Murdaugh murder trial judge steps aside after Murdaugh asks for new trial
National Book Awards: See all the winners, including Justin Torres, Ned Blackhawk