Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 06:46:07
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Will Sage Astorlocal prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (74)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Key witness at bribery trial of Sen. Bob Menendez faces grueling day of cross-examination
- Family of Texas man who died after altercation with jailers wants federal investigation
- Jerry West, a 3-time Hall of Fame selection and the NBA logo, dies at 86
- 'Most Whopper
- Amarillo City Council rejects so-called abortion travel ban
- Raytheon discriminates against older job applicants, AARP alleges
- Johnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- iOS 18 unveiled: See key new features and changes coming with next iPhone operating system
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Top investigator in Karen Read murder case questioned over inappropriate texts
- Soda company recalls soft drinks over chemicals, dyes linked to cancer: What to know
- Judges hear Elizabeth Holmes’ appeal of fraud conviction while she remains in Texas prison
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- Titan Sub Tragedy: Log of Passengers' Final Words That Surfaced Online Found to Be Fake
- RTX, the world's largest aerospace and defense company, accused of age discrimination
- Migrant boat sinks off Yemen coast, killing at least 49 people, U.N. immigration agency says
Recommendation
Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
Donald Trump tells a group that calls for banning all abortions to stand up for ‘innocent life’
Keeping Stormwater at Bay: a Brooklyn Green Roof Offers a Look at a Climate Resilient Future
3 people injured in shooting at Atlanta food court; suspect shot by off-duty officer
Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
When does Tiger Woods play at US Open? Tee times, parings for 15-time major champion
What is paralytic shellfish poisoning? What to know about FDA warning, how many are sick.
Bill for “forever chemicals” manufacturers to pay North Carolina water systems advances