Current:Home > ContactProsecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -Capitatum
Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:58:11
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The local prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Why Craig Conover Says It's Very Probable He and Paige DeSorbo Might Break Up
- Activists rally for bill that would allow some Alabama death row inmates to be resentenced
- Why Craig Conover Says It's Very Probable He and Paige DeSorbo Might Break Up
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Activists rally for bill that would allow some Alabama death row inmates to be resentenced
- Man accused of kidnapping and killing ex-girlfriend’s daughter to plead guilty to federal charge
- Liberal Wisconsin justice won’t recuse herself from case on mobile voting van’s legality
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Caitlin Clark's first March Madness opponent set: Holy Cross up next after First Four blowout
Ranking
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- The Notebook: Turning the bestselling romance into a Broadway musical
- Lawrence County Superintendent Robbie Fletcher selected as Kentucky’s next education commissioner
- Oakland extends Kentucky's NCAA Tournament woes with massive March Madness upset
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Deep Red
- Caitlin Clark's first March Madness opponent set: Holy Cross up next after First Four blowout
- Democratic senators push bill focusing on local detainment of immigrants linked to violent crime
Recommendation
Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
Human composting as alternative to burial and cremation gets final approval by Delaware lawmakers
Texas Lawmaker Seeks to Improve Texas’ Power Capacity by Joining Regional Grid and Agreeing to Federal Oversight
New Hampshire Senate passes bill to expand scope of youth detention center victim settlements
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Southern Baptists pick a California seminary president to lead its troubled administrative body
Nordstrom Secretly Put Tons of SKIMS Styles On Sale — and They're All Up To 50% Off!
Detroit-area man convicted of drowning his 4 children in car in 1989 seeks release from prison