Current:Home > InvestOwners of Pulse nightclub, where 49 died in mass shooting, won’t be charged -Capitatum
Owners of Pulse nightclub, where 49 died in mass shooting, won’t be charged
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 03:53:31
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The Orlando Police Department has closed its investigation into the former owners of the Pulse nightclub without filing any charges. Victims’ families and survivors of the killing of 49 patrons at the LGBTQ-friendly club had asked law enforcement to investigate them for criminal culpability.
No charges will be filed against former owners Barbara and Rosario Poma because probable cause didn’t exist for involuntary manslaughter by culpable negligence, the Orlando police said this week in an emailed statement.
About two dozen people, mostly survivors and family members of those who died in the 2016 shooting, gave statements to investigators. They said that building plans weren’t available to first responders during the three hours hostages were held in the club and that unpermitted renovations and building modifications had occurred. They also maintained that the club was likely above capacity, that it had operated for years in violation of its conditional use permit, and that there were security and risk-management failures.
Despite efforts to reach the the Pomas, investigators weren’t able to interview them.
They determined that the lack of building plans didn’t hamper rescuers, that it was impossible to identify how many people were in the club that night, that the city of Orlando never took any action against Pulse when the nightclub changed its interior, and that there were too many unknowns about how gunman Omar Mateen entered.
None of the Pomas’ actions were done “with a reckless disregard for human life,” and “they could not have reasonably foreseen or anticipated a terrorist incident taking place at Pulse,” investigators wrote in a report.
Mateen opened fire during a Latin night celebration June 12, 2016, leaving 49 dead and 53 wounded. At the time, it was the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Mateen, who had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, was killed after a three-hour standoff with police.
The Pulse shooting’s death toll was surpassed the following year when 58 people were killed and more than 850 injured among a crowd of 22,000 at a country music festival in Las Vegas.
The city of Orlando purchased the Pulse property last year for $2 million.
Before the Pomas and another businessperson sold the property, Barbara Poma was the executive director of the onePulse Foundation, the nonprofit that had been leading efforts to build a memorial and museum. The original project, unveiled in 2019 by the onePulse Foundation, called for a museum and permanent memorial costing $45 million. That estimate eventually soared to $100 million.
Barbara Poma stepped down as executive director in 2022 and left the organization entirely last year amid conflict-of-interest criticism over her stated desire to sell instead of donate the Pulse property.
The city has since outlined more modest plans for a memorial. The original idea for a museum has been jettisoned, and city leaders formed an advisory board to help determine what the memorial will look like.
___
Follow Mike Schneider on the social platform X: @MikeSchneiderAP
veryGood! (9255)
Related
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- Democratic state senator files paperwork for North Dakota gubernatorial bid
- March Madness games today: Everything to know about NCAA Tournament schedule on Friday
- Mega Millions jackpot approaching $1 billion: 5 prior times lottery game has made billionaires
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Former Timberwolves employee arrested, accused of stealing hard drive with critical info
- Joana Vicente steps down as Sundance Institute CEO
- We Found the 24 Best Travel Deals From Amazon's Big Spring Sale 2024: 57% off Luggage & More
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- March's full moon will bring a subtle eclipse with it early Monday morning
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Princess Kate cancer diagnosis: Read her full statement to the public
- Maryland US Rep. David Trone apologizes for using racial slur at hearing. He says it was inadvertent
- Former Georgia insurance commissioner John Oxendine pleads guilty to health care fraud
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Is there a winner of the $977M Mega Millions jackpot? Numbers have been drawn and it’s time to wait
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Wish Health and Healing for Kate Middleton Following Cancer Diagnosis
- Vote-counting machine foes hoped for a surge of success in New Hampshire. They got barely a ripple
Recommendation
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Metal detectorist looking for World War II relics instead finds medieval papal artifact
FACT FOCUS: Tyson Foods isn’t hiring workers who came to the U.S. illegally. Boycott calls persist
We Found the 24 Best Travel Deals From Amazon's Big Spring Sale 2024: 57% off Luggage & More
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Another March Madness disappointment means it's time for Kentucky and John Calipari to part
This week on Sunday Morning (March 24)
Vermont House passes a bill to restrict a pesticide that is toxic to bees