Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Louisiana court may reopen window for lawsuits by adult victims of childhood sex abuse -Capitatum
Chainkeen Exchange-Louisiana court may reopen window for lawsuits by adult victims of childhood sex abuse
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 07:07:21
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Louisiana’s Supreme Court agreed Friday to reconsider its recent ruling that wiped out a state law giving adult victims of childhood sexual abuse a renewed opportunity to file damage lawsuits.
The Chainkeen Exchangelaw was passed by the Louisiana Legislature in 2021 and amended in 2022. Sometimes called a “look back” law, it gave victims of past abuse, whose deadlines for filing civil lawsuits had expired, until June 14 of this year to file — a deadline that could be extended until June of 2027 under pending legislation. At the time, its chief sponsor, Rep. Jason Hughes, a New Orleans Democrat, cited research that showed the average age for child sex abuse victims to report the crimes is 52.
In a 4-3 ruling in March, the state’s highest court had said the law conflicted with due process rights in the state constitution. Justices James Genovese, Scott Crichton, Jefferson Hughes and Piper Griffin had been in the majority in March. But in Friday’s order, Crichton and Griffin joined Chief Justice John Weimer and justices Jay McCallum and William Crain in granting a rehearing.
“This was the right decision — as the bill passed unanimously through the State Legislature and should be the law here in Louisiana,” Louisiana Attorney Gen. Liz Murrill said in a news release.
Friday’s decision comes as the Catholic Church continues to deal with the ramifications of a decades-old sex scandal. The ruling that is getting a second look arose from a case filed against the Catholic Diocese of Lafayette by plaintiffs who said they were molested by a priest in the 1970s while they ranged in age from 8 to 14, according to the Supreme Court record.
The rehearing decision follows last week’s revelation that Louisiana State Police carried out a sweeping search warrant in April at the Archdiocese of New Orleans, seeking records and communications between local church leaders and the Vatican about the church’s handling of clergy sexual abuse.
Friday’s order did not set a new court date for arguments on the look back law, but it gave parties until May 20 to file briefs. The new majority didn’t assign reasons for granting a rehearing, although Weimer said the court should have set a hearing for this month.
Hughes criticized the decision in a brief dissent saying civilizations have provided time limits on legal claims for centuries.
“Special interest exceptions are anathema to the broader and more important concept of Justice,” he wrote. “Equal protection means equal.”
veryGood! (51125)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- 'Devastation is absolutely heartbreaking' from Southern California wildfire
- Barbora Krejcikova calls out 'unprofessional' remarks about her appearance
- NASCAR Hall of Fame driver Bobby Allison dies at 86
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Pistons' Ausar Thompson cleared to play after missing 8 months with blood clot
- Man charged with murder in fatal shooting of 2 workers at Chicago’s Navy Pier
- Is Veterans Day a federal holiday? Here's what to know for November 11
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- MLS playoff teams set: Road to MLS Cup continues with conference semifinals
Ranking
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Will Reeve, son of Christopher Reeve, gets engaged to girlfriend Amanda Dubin
- Sister Wives’ Madison Brush Details Why She Went “No Contact” With Dad Kody Brown
- Miami Marlins hiring Los Angeles Dodgers first base coach Clayton McCullough as manager
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Digital Finance Research Institute Introduce
- Taking stock of bonds: Does the 60/40 rule still have a role in retirement savings?
- Unexpected pairing: New documentary tells a heartwarming story between Vietnam enemies
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Trump is likely to name a loyalist as Pentagon chief after tumultuous first term
Early Black Friday Deals: 70% Off Apple, Dyson, Tarte, Barefoot Dreams, Le Creuset & More + Free Shipping
Are banks, post offices, UPS and FedEx open on Veterans Day? Here's what to know
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
AIT Community Introduce
Kennesaw State football coach Brian Bohannon steps down after 10 seasons amid first year in FBS
Brush fire erupts in Brooklyn's iconic Prospect Park amid prolonged drought