Current:Home > Scams'My sweet little baby': Georgia toddler fatally shot while watching TV; police search for suspects -Capitatum
'My sweet little baby': Georgia toddler fatally shot while watching TV; police search for suspects
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 03:50:57
While the family of a 3-year-old boy from Athens, Georgia mourns, authorities continue to hunt down and prosecute the toddler's alleged killers.
Kyron Zarco, also known as "Baby Dro," died after bullets pierced his home while he was watching TV and sitting on the sofa with his 9-year-old brother, Athens-Clarke police said.
“I am sickened by this heinous crime, and my heart aches for the grieving family, friends and loved oneswho are suffering such a tragic loss,” Athens-Clarke Chief of Police Jerry Saulters said March 9 in a news release. “The Athens-Clarke County Police Department will dedicate our full strength and resources to bring the killers to justice.”
So far, two teenagers have been arrested and are facing murder and other felony charges in connection to Kyron's death. Julian Cubillos, 17, and Jayden Brown, 16, are in police custody without bond while authorities search for two more suspects who were allegedly involved in the shooting.
Dakious Echols, 18, and Desmontrez Mathis, 22, are the remaining two suspects police intend to arrest for Kyron's murder. All four suspects have been charged with two counts of murder (malice and felony murder), four counts ofaggravated assault and violation of the Georgia Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act, police said Thursday in a subsequent news release.
What happened to Kyron Zarco?
Athens-Clarke police responded to a call around 5:30 p.m. about a shooting at a mobile home park, according to the department. When officers arrived, they found three people with gunshot wounds − Kyron, his brother and an unidentified adult.
Kyron died from a bullet to the chest, according to Athens-Clarke County Coroner Sonny Wilson. The toddler's brother suffered a non-life-threatening injury, while the adult was not injured by gunfire, police said.
The front of the mobile home had at least seven gunshot holes as a result of the shooting, according to police.
Athens-Clarke police Lt. Jody Thompson said the shooting appears to be over a gang-related dispute. Police have not said who the intended target of the shooting was.
Manhunt for Kyron Zarco's alleged killers commences
Athens-Clarke police are searching for the remaining suspects with the help of a Violent Gang Safe Streets Tasks Force, which consists of federal, state and local officers, Thompson said.
Crime Stoppers is enlisting the public's help by offering up to a $2,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons involved in the shooting, police said.
"There has been a lot of public input and a lot of helpful information given,” Thompson said.
Cubillos was arrested in Jackson County, 19 miles from Athens, about an hour after the shooting, police said.
Athens-Clarke police had issued a lookout notice for a white Jeep Cherokee that Cubillos was possibly driving. A Jackson County sheriff's deputy spotted the Jeep and tailed it until the car stopped at a food mart in Arcade, Georgia, police said.
The deputy apprehended Cubillos after ordering him out of the Jeep and telling the teenager to put his hands in the air, according to police. When a backup officer arrived, Cubillos was put in handcuffs.
No weapons were found in Cubillos possession during the arrest, the deputy reported. The 17-year-old did not make a statement, and the deputies did not question him at that time.
Kyron Zarco's family mourns after deadly shooting
Kyron's mother, 29-year-old Shanita Smith, told WXIA-TV that her "baby didn't even have a chance" when bullets riddled the mobile home on the day of the shooting.
"Why? Why? I don't bother nobody. I don't bother nobody. So, were you aiming for someone else's house? Because why? My sweet little baby," Smith said.
Smith said she would have done "anything" for her kids.
"I love my kids," Smith told the TV station.
Kyron's family has organized a GoFundMe to help them find a safer home.
"Baby Dro’s life was taken from him too soon during a drive-by shooting while just watching television with his sibling, who was also hit by a bullet," the GoFundMe page says. "Baby Dro was only three years old when this horrific tragedy happened. This baby boy was so precious and innocent! He was her miracle baby, so sweet and full of joy."
The GoFundMe's donation goal is $30,000. So far, over $23,000 has been raised.
Contributing: Wayne Ford for the Athens Banner-Herald
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- 'Devastation is absolutely heartbreaking' from Southern California wildfire
- MLS playoff teams set: Road to MLS Cup continues with conference semifinals
- What to know about Mississippi Valley State football player Ryan Quinney, who died Friday
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Stocks soared on news of Trump's election. Bonds sank. Here's why.
- ‘Heretic’ and Hugh Grant debut with $11 million, but ‘Venom: The Last Dance’ tops box office again
- These Michael Kors’ Designer Handbags Are All Under $150 With an Extra 22% off for Singles’ Day
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- A growing and aging population is forcing Texas counties to seek state EMS funding
Ranking
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Prayers and cheeseburgers? Chiefs have unlikely fuel for inexplicable run
- Hill House Home’s Once-A-Year Sale Is Here: Get 30% off Everything & up to 75% off Luxury Dresses
- Hill House Home’s Once-A-Year Sale Is Here: Get 30% off Everything & up to 75% off Luxury Dresses
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Singles' Day vs. Black Friday: Which Has the Best Deals for Smart Shoppers?
- Climate Advocacy Groups Say They’re Ready for Trump 2.0
- Jordan Chiles Reveals She Still Has Bronze Medal in Emotional Update After 2024 Olympics Controversy
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Suspect arrested after deadly Tuskegee University homecoming shooting
A Pipeline Runs Through It
Princess Kate makes rare public appearance after completing cancer chemo
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
The 15 quickest pickup trucks MotorTrend has ever tested
Texas now tops in SEC? Miami in trouble? Five overreactions to college football Week 11
Man charged with murder in fatal shooting of 2 workers at Chicago’s Navy Pier