Current:Home > MyWhat to know about the Los Angeles Catholic Church $880M settlement with sexual abuse victims -Capitatum
What to know about the Los Angeles Catholic Church $880M settlement with sexual abuse victims
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 05:50:47
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Archdiocese of Los Angeles has agreed to pay $880 million to hundreds of victims of clergy sexual abuse dating back decades.
The settlement with 1,353 people who allege that they were abused by local Catholic priests is the largest single child sex abuse settlement with a Catholic archdiocese, according to experts. The accusers were able to sue after California approved a law that opened a three-year window in 2020 for cases that exceeded the statute of limitations.
The Archdiocese of Los Angeles has previously paid $740 million to victims. With the settlement announced Wednesday, the total payout will be more than $1.5 billion.
Attorneys still need to get approval for the settlement from all plaintiffs to finalize it, the Plaintiffs’ Liaison Committee said.
The agreement brings to an end most sexual abuse litigation against the largest archdiocese in the United States, though a few lawsuits against the church are still pending, attorneys for the victims say.
Here are some things to know about the settlement:
It took a year and a half to reach an agreement
Negotiations began in 2022, lead plaintiff attorney Morgan Stewart said Thursday.
Attorneys wanted their clients to get the highest settlement possible while allowing the archdiocese to survive financially, Steward said. California is one of at least 15 states that have extended the window for people to sue institutions over long-ago abuse, leading to thousands of new cases that have forced several archdioceses to declare bankruptcy, including San Francisco and Oakland.
California’s law also allowed triple damages in cases where abuse resulted from a “cover-up” of previous assaults by an employee or volunteer.
“One of our goals was to avoid the bankruptcy process that has befallen so many other dioceses,” Stewart said.
The plaintiffs were abused 30, 40, or 50 years ago, Steward said.
“These survivors have suffered for decades in the aftermath of the abuse,” Stewart told the Los Angeles Times. “Dozens of the survivors have died. They are aging, and many of those with knowledge of the abuse within the church are too. It was time to get this resolved.”
The Los Angeles Catholic Church previously paid $740 million
The archdiocese has pledged to better protect its church members while paying hundreds of millions of dollars in various settlements.
Archbishop José H. Gomez apologized in a statement.
“My hope is that this settlement will provide some measure of healing for what these men and women have suffered,” the archbishop added. “I believe that we have come to a resolution of these claims that will provide just compensation to the survivor-victims of these past abuses.”
Gomez said that the new settlement would be paid through “reserves, investments and loans, along with other archdiocesan assets and payments that will be made by religious orders and others named in the litigation.”
Hundreds of LA clergy members are accused of abusing minors
More than 300 priests who worked in the archdiocese in Los Angeles have been accused of sexually abusing minors over decades.
One of those priests was Michael Baker, who was convicted of child molestation in 2007 and paroled in 2011. In 2013, the archdiocese agreed to pay nearly $10 million to settle four cases alleging abuse by the now-defrocked priest.
Confidential files show that Baker met with then-Archbishop Roger Mahony in 1986 and confessed to molesting two boys over a nearly seven-year period.
Mahony removed Baker from ministry and sent him for psychological treatment, but the priest returned to ministry and was allowed to be alone with boys. The priest wasn’t removed from ministry until 2000 after serving in nine parishes.
Authorities believe that Baker molested more than 40 children during his years as a priest, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Church officials say they’ve made changes
The church now enforces strict background and reporting requirements on priests and has extensive training programs for staff and volunteers to protect young people, said Gomez, who succeeded Mahony after he retired in 2011 and went on to become a Cardinal.
“Today, as a result of these reforms, new cases of sexual misconduct by priests and clergy involving minors are rare in the Archdiocese,” Gomez told the Los Angeles Times. “No one who has been found to have harmed a minor is serving in ministry at this time. And I promise: We will remain vigilant.”
As part of the new settlement, the archdiocese will disclose more of the files it kept that documented abuse by priests.
veryGood! (929)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Hurricane Milton leaves widespread destruction; rescue operations underway: Live updates
- North Carolina football's Tylee Craft dies at 23 after cancer battle
- Man wins $3.1 million on $2 Colorado Lottery game
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Don't want to worry about a 2025 Social Security COLA? Here's what to do.
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs to stay in jail while appeals court takes up bail fight
- When is Tigers-Guardians Game 5 of American League Division Series?
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Children and adults transported to a Pennsylvania hospital after ingesting ‘toxic mushrooms’
Ranking
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- American Pickers Star Frank Fritz's Cause of Death Revealed
- A man was shot to death in confrontation with law enforcement officers in Kansas
- TikTok was aware of risks kids and teens face on its platform, legal document alleges
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- 1 person killed and at least 12 wounded in shooting at Oklahoma City party
- Penn State vs USC highlights: Catch up on all the top moments from Nittany Lions' comeback
- Hot-air balloon strikes and collapses radio tower in Albuquerque during festival
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
The 2025 Ford Mustang GTD packs more HP than expected — at $325K
NY prosecutors want to combine Harvey Weinstein’s criminal cases into a single trial
Kentucky woman is arrested after police find human remains in her mom’s oven and a body in the yard
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
Oregon's Traeshon Holden ejected for spitting in Ohio State player's face
Why Kerry Washington Thinks Scandal Would Never Have Been Made Today
Rihanna's All-Time Favorite Real Housewife Might Surprise You