Current:Home > InvestNHL No. 1 draft pick Macklin Celebrini signs contract with San Jose Sharks -Capitatum
NHL No. 1 draft pick Macklin Celebrini signs contract with San Jose Sharks
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 21:06:36
No. 1 overall draft pick Macklin Celebrini is making the immediate jump to the NHL.
Last year's Hobey Baker Award winner signed a three-year, entry-level contract ($975,000 a year, plus performance bonuses) with the San Jose Sharks on Saturday, ending his college career at Boston University after one season. He had 64 points in 38 games last season as the youngest player in college hockey.
“Macklin is not only a special player on the ice, but he is a poised, confident and intelligent young man off of it,” Sharks general manager Mike Grier said. “His combination of skills and hockey sense is rare, and we are extremely confident that he is ready to make the transition to being a full time NHL player."
Red Line Report, an independent scouting service, said Celebrini can be a top six forward in his first season.
"He has superb hands and timing and is a highly imaginative playmaker who gets pucks to his linemates with one-touch passes," said Kyle Woodlief, Red Line's publisher and chief scout. "He’s a terrific goal scorer with a lightning-fast catch and release - the puck explodes off his stick. His ability to anticipate developing plays puts him a step ahead of everyone else on the ice."
All things Sharks: Latest San Jose Sharks news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast.Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
Celebrini made the decision after taking part in the Sharks' prospect camp.
He has local ties because his father, Rick, is vice president of health and performance for the nearby Golden State Warriors of the NBA. Macklin had played for the San Jose Jr. Sharks in 2019-20, scoring 94 points in 54 games.
He is arriving at the same time as last year's top Sharks pick, No. 4 overall Will Smith, who signed this summer after playing a season at Boston College.
The Sharks will build around those two and 21-year-old William Eklund.
After two seasons of shedding veterans and dropping to last place, the Sharks added Tyler Toffoli, Alex Wennberg, Ty Dellandrea and others this offseason to hasten their rebuild.
Celebrini will be part of a talented NHL rookie class that includes Smith, Philadelphia Flyers forward Matvei Michkov and Anaheim Ducks forward Cutter Gauthier.
Blackhawks sign No. 2 overall pick Artyom Levshunov
The Chicago Blackhawks signed defenseman Artyom Levshunov to an entry-level contract. He played last season at Michigan State.
"Signing Artyom gives us the opportunity to continue his development in house and take the next step into professional hockey,” said general manager Kyle Davidson. “He’s a strong two-way defenseman that has all the tools to be a high-end player in the NHL and we’re excited to continue his growth at the pro level."
veryGood! (98555)
Related
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Review: Full of biceps and bullets, 'Love Lies Bleeding' will be your sexy noir obsession
- House passes TikTok bill. Are TikTok's days numbered? What you need to know.
- Jury begins deliberating manslaughter case against Connecticut trooper who killed man in stolen car
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Michigan woman’s handpicked numbers win $1M on Powerball. She found out on Facebook.
- Ex-rideshare driver accused in California antisemitic attack charged with federal hate crime
- The 8 Best Luxury Pillows That Are Editor-Approved and Actually Worth the Investment
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Olivia Munn Shares She Underwent Double Mastectomy Amid Breast Cancer Battle
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Kyle Richards Defends Kissing Hot Morgan Wade and Weighs in on Their Future
- 3 men face firearms charges after Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade shooting, authorities say
- Star Wars’ Child Actor Jake Lloyd in Mental Health Facility After Suffering Psychotic Break
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Five most overpaid men's college basketball coaches: Calipari, Woodson make list
- Dollar General employees at Wisconsin store make statement by walking out: 'We quit!'
- Mars Wrigley promotes chewing gum as tool to 'address the micro-stresses of everyday life'
Recommendation
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Jury begins deliberating manslaughter case against Connecticut trooper who killed man in stolen car
Stock market today: Asian shares trade mixed as investors look to central banks
500 pounds of pure snake: Massive python nest snagged in Southwest Florida
Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
Some Alabama websites hit by ‘denial-of-service’ computer attack
Christina Applegate Says She Was Living With Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms for 7 Years Before Diagnosis
Top 5 landing spots for wide receiver Mike Williams after Chargers release him