Current:Home > ContactEthermac Exchange-Alaska judge grants limited stay in correspondence school allotments decision -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-Alaska judge grants limited stay in correspondence school allotments decision
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 16:27:01
JUNEAU,Ethermac Exchange Alaska (AP) — A state court judge has paused through June his decision striking down laws that allowed some Alaska students to use public funds at private and religious schools, rejecting a request from the state for a longer stay.
Superior Court Judge Adolf Zeman also said Thursday that the state “mischaracterizes and misreads” his original ruling on correspondence school allotments last month.
Zeman in April found that laws around correspondence school allotments “were drafted with the express purpose of allowing purchases of private educational services with the public correspondence student allotments.” The Alaska Constitution says public funds can’t be paid “for the direct benefit of any religious or other private educational institution.”
Attorneys for the state in court documents said Zeman’s April 12 ruling meant that correspondence schools apparently cannot prepare individual learning plans for students or provide any allotments, “even if the allotments are spent only on things like textbooks and laptops rather than on private school classes or tuition.”
Zeman “applied such a broad reading of the constitutional term ‘educational institution’” that his original ruling “would render unconstitutional even basic purchases by brick-and-mortar public schools from private businesses like textbook publishers or equipment vendors,” attorneys Margaret Paton Walsh and Laura Fox wrote in seeking a stay while the case is heard on appeal by the Alaska Supreme Court. An appeal in the case is planned.
The state’s broader read of the ruling has been at odds with an analysis by legislative attorneys, who said correspondence programs could continue with small changes to the law or regulations, the Anchorage Daily News reported.
Zeman said Thursday that his original decision “did not find that correspondence study programs were unconstitutional,” and said correspondence programs “continue to exist after this Court’s Order.”
There are more than 22,000 correspondence students in Alaska.
The Associated Press sent an email seeking comment to the state Department of Law Thursday.
The stay granted by Zeman was in line with one requested by the plaintiffs in the case. Scott Kendall, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said the limited stay would allow students to finish the school year with minimal disruption — but it also meant that unconstitutional spending would not continue indefinitely.
Several lawmakers said the judge’s latest order reinforced that they should be working to address the issue before the legislature is scheduled to adjourn in mid-May. Republican Gov. Mike Dunleavy earlier this week said he thought lawmakers should wait to pass legislation addressing correspondence programs until the state Supreme Court weighs in.
Sen. Bill Wielechowski, an Anchorage Democrat, said the limited stay “reiterates the urgency of the Legislature passing legislation” now.
“If the court had granted a stay through next year, then it would have taken the urgency away from doing something because we could address it next session. Now that we know that this expires June 30, I think it would not be responsible for us to not pass something before we leave, or for emergency regulations to be enacted,” he said.
veryGood! (2715)
Related
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Judge Judy's Nighttime Activity With Husband Jerry Sheindlin Is Very on Brand
- Whoopi Goldberg asks for 'a little grace' for Janet Jackson after Kamala Harris comments
- In effort to refute porn-site message report, Mark Robinson campaign hires a law firm
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Fantasy football waiver wire: 10 players to add for NFL Week 4
- Tropical Storm Helene strengthens as hurricane warnings cover parts of Florida and Mexico
- Preparing Pennsylvania’s voting machines: What is logic and accuracy testing?
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Jury awards teen pop group OMG Girlz $71.5 million in battle with toy maker over “L.O.L.” dolls
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- DWTS Pro Ezra Sosa Shares Why Partner Anna Delvey Cried in the Bathroom After Premiere
- Will Hurricane Helene emerge like a monster from the Gulf?
- Jimmy Carter as a power-playing loner from the farm to the White House and on the global stage
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs and his former bodyguard accused of drugging and raping woman in 2001
- Travis Barker Reacts to Leaked Photo of His and Kourtney Kardashian's Baby Rocky
- Dangerous chemical leak spurs evacuation order in Ohio town
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Exclusive: Seen any paranormal activity on your Ring device? You could win $100,000
US to hand over pest inspections of Mexican avocados to Mexico and California growers aren’t happy
California governor signs bills to bolster gun control
IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
Second US death from EEE mosquito virus reported in New York, residents warned
Major movie theater chains unveil $2.2 billion plan to improve 'cinematic experience'
FBI: Son of suspect in Trump assassination attempt arrested on child sexual abuse images charges