Current:Home > StocksBusinesses where George Floyd was killed sue Minneapolis, saying police are not protecting the area -Capitatum
Businesses where George Floyd was killed sue Minneapolis, saying police are not protecting the area
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 22:28:32
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Several stores at the location where George Floyd was killed by Minneapolis police in 2020 have sued the city, accusing it of neglecting the area and hurting business.
The lawsuit, filed in mid-November in state court, also names Mayor Jacob Frey and other officials and accuses the city of not properly policing the area since Floyd’s death. It also accuses the city of blocking the intersection that is now known as George Floyd Square with concrete barriers for more than a year after Floyd’s death, keeping customers from entering.
The combination has turned the area into a hub for violent crime, the lawsuit says.
“The mayor, the city, the city council, and the Minneapolis Police Department collectively agreed to severely limit police response in the barricaded area surrounding plaintiffs’ businesses,” with police responding to only the most serious calls and otherwise actively avoiding the area, according to the lawsuit.
“Criminals know the area lacks police protection, and they have now made the area so dangerous that it has become known as the ‘No Go Zone,’” the lawsuit says.
The businesses include Cup Foods, the convenience store where Floyd was suspected of trying to pass a counterfeit $20 bill that led to the fatal encounter with police. The other businesses, including a tobacco shop and investment business, are run from inside Cup Foods or nearby and are all owned by the same family, according to the lawsuit.
The businesses are seeking about $1.5 million in damages.
The city has said it offered a range of support for businesses in response to both the civil unrest that followed Floyd’s killing and the COVID-19 pandemic. That included a $1.5 million forgivable loans program in 2021 specifically for businesses located in and around George Floyd Square.
A spokesman for the city said officials are aware of the lawsuit and have no comment on it.
Frey’s office said in a statement Wednesday that it did “everything possible to open the street safely amid very tenuous circumstances.”
“When we finally did open the street, the city did so in a planned way where no one was hurt and the area remained safe for residents,” Frey spokeswoman Ally Peters said in the statement.
Floyd, who was Black, died on May 25, 2020, after former officer Derek Chauvin, who is white, pressed a knee on his neck for 9½ minutes on the street outside Cup Foods. Bystander video captured Floyd’s fading cries of “I can’t breathe.” His death touched off protests worldwide, some of which turned violent, and forced a national reckoning with police brutality and racism.
Three other former officers received lesser state and federal sentences for their roles in Floyd’s death.
One of those former officers, Tou Thao, has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to reverse his federal civil rights conviction. In a petition posted on the high court’s docket this week, Thao’s attorneys argued that prosecutors failed to prove that Thao’s actions or inactions were willful, as required by law.
Thao, who held back the crowd outside Cup Foods, testified previously that he did nothing wrong and served only as a “human traffic cone.” The request is a long shot; the high court last week rejected Chauvin’s request to hear his appeal.
Chauvin is serving a 21-year federal sentence for violating Floyd’s civil rights and a 22½-year state sentence for second-degree murder. Those sentences are being served at the same time. Chauvin is recovering from serious injuries after he was stabbed last week by another inmate at a federal prison in Arizona.
veryGood! (7537)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Bad weather hampers search for 2 who went over waterfall in Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area
- Climber's body found on Mount Denali in Alaska, North America's tallest
- 11 presumed dead, 9 rescued after fishing boat sinks off the coast of South Africa
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Sun Chips have been a favorite snack food for decades. But are they healthy?
- Stock market today: Asian shares mostly decline after Nasdaq ticks to a record high
- ‘Justice demands’ new trial for death row inmate, Alabama district attorney says
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Indiana Fever's Caitlin Clark injures ankle, but returns in loss to Connecticut Sun
Ranking
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- The Skinny Confidential Just Launched A Mini Version Of Its Cult-Fave Ice Roller, & We're Obsessed
- Red Lobster files for bankruptcy days after closing dozens of locations across the US
- Heavy equipment, snow shovels used to clean up hail piled knee-deep in small Colorado city
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Police break up pro-Palestinian camp at the University of Michigan
- Phillies star Bryce Harper helps New Jersey teen score date to prom
- See Dwayne Johnson transform into Mark Kerr in first photo from biopic 'The Smashing Machine'
Recommendation
PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
I’m an Editor Who Loves Bright, Citrus Scents and These Perfumes Smell Like Sunshine
North Carolina court throws out conviction of man with guns inside car on campus
Studio Ghibli takes a bow at Cannes with an honorary Palme d’Or
Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
ICC prosecutor applies for arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Hamas leaders
Explore Minnesota tourism capitalizes on Anthony Edwards' viral Bring ya a** comment
Tuesday’s primaries include presidential races and the prosecutor in Trump’s Georgia election case