Current:Home > StocksReggie Bush plans to continue his fight against the NCAA after the return of his Heisman Trophy -Capitatum
Reggie Bush plans to continue his fight against the NCAA after the return of his Heisman Trophy
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:21:49
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Reggie Bush is overjoyed to have his Heisman Trophy once again.
Now he wants his reputation back as well.
The former Southern California tailback says the return of his Heisman is the biggest step yet in what he sees as his fight against the NCAA to restore his good name and his records from his incredible college football career. Bush pointedly said he “never cheated” during his three seasons at USC.
“There was never a doubt in my mind that it would come,” Bush said. “Because I know the truth is on my side.”
Bush and his family celebrated the restoration of his Heisman honors Thursday during a news conference atop the venerable Coliseum, where Bush played for the Trojans before his 11-year NFL career. Bush and his three children held up the trophy together while his wife, mother and many supporters cheered.
Bush praised the Heisman Trust for his reinstatement, but the former tailback and his attorneys made it clear their fight against the NCAA has not ended. Bush indicated he doesn’t plan to drop his defamation lawsuit filed last year against the NCAA over the governing body’s 2021 characterization of the circumstances that led to Bush’s troubles.
“It was more of being labelled a cheater,” Bush said. “The trophy ... being taken away from me (was painful), but being labelled a cheater was far worse, because I’ve never cheated, and there’s no proof of that, that I’ve cheated.”
Bush won the Heisman in 2005, but forfeited it in 2010 after USC was hit with massive sanctions partly related to Bush’s dealings with two aspiring sports marketers. The Heisman Trust restored the honor and returned the trophy to Bush in Jacksonville, Florida, on Wednesday, citing fundamental changes in the structure of college athletics over the past 14 years.
The NCAA also vacated 14 wins by the Trojans and wiped many of Bush’s achievements from the record books in its sanctions. That decision still infuriates Bush, who clearly hopes his lawsuit and public pressure can force the governing body to change its stance.
“This is a clarion call to the NCAA to do the right thing, to get on the right side of history,” attorney Ben Crump said.
Bush, whose NCAA-mandated disassociation from USC ended in 2020, hopes to see his retired No. 5 on the Coliseum peristyle this fall. He also hopes to lead coach Lincoln Riley’s team out of the Coliseum tunnel, accepting the honor given to top former Trojans.
But Bush says he won’t be satisfied until his name is cleared as well.
“You can’t get to this, or a national championship, by cheating,” Bush said. “I promise you that.”
___
AP college football: https://apnews.com/collegefootball
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Missing Arizona woman and her alleged stalker found dead in car: 'He scared her'
- Local sheriff says shots fired inside an Iowa mall
- Safeguarding the heartbeat: Native Americans in Upper Midwest protect their drumming tradition
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- 2024 NFL record projections: Chiefs rule regular season, but is three-peat ahead?
- A’ja Wilson’s basketball dominance is driven by joy. Watch her work at Paris Olympics.
- George Clooney backs VP Harris, after calling for Biden to withdraw
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Lainey Wilson accidentally splits pants during tour
Ranking
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- For Appalachian Artists, the Landscape Is Much More Than the Sum of Its Natural Resources
- Dave Bayley of Glass Animals reflects on struggles that came after Heat Waves success, creative journey for new album
- Harris to visit battleground Wisconsin in first rally as Democrats coalesce around her for president
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Missouri judge overturns wrongful murder conviction of man imprisoned for over 30 years
- July is Disability Pride Month. Here's what you should know.
- Hailey Bieber shows off baby bump in W Magazine cover, opens up about relationship
Recommendation
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
Repercussions rare for violating campaign ethics laws in Texas due to attorney general’s office
Simone Biles' husband, Jonathan Owens, will get to watch Olympics team, all-around final
Data shows hurricanes and earthquakes grab headlines but inland counties top disaster list
Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
Google makes abrupt U-turn by dropping plan to remove ad-tracking cookies on Chrome browser
Love Island USA’s Kordell and Serena React to His Brother Odell Beckham Jr. “Geeking” Over Their Romance
Dubai Princess Shares Photo With 2-Month-Old Daughter After Shocking Divorce