Current:Home > StocksSpecial counsel previews trial roadmap in federal 2020 election case against Trump -Capitatum
Special counsel previews trial roadmap in federal 2020 election case against Trump
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:38:03
Washington — Special counsel Jack Smith, who is set to prosecute former President Donald Trump in federal court early next year, offered new insight into the evidence he plans to show the jury at trial, including information that the government alleges shows the events of Jan. 6, 2021, were "exactly what [Trump] intended" to happen, according to a new court filing.
Smith charged Trump with four counts, including conspiracy to defraud the United States and obstruction of an official proceeding, stemming from Trump's alleged efforts to resist the peaceful transfer of power after the 2020 presidential election.
In a new filing Tuesday, prosecutors revealed they plan to use historical evidence of events occurring both before and after the alleged conspiracy. In doing so, they aim to demonstrate Trump's motives, intent and knowledge. They intend to include his history of denying the election results and support of high-profile Jan. 6 defendants.
Prosecutors say that Trump's alleged "embrace of particularly violent and notorious rioters" after Jan. 6, 2021, is admissible" to establish his motive and intent leading up to on that day.
They argue that Trump "sent supporters, including groups like the Proud Boys, whom he knew were angry, and whom he now calls 'patriots,' to the Capitol to achieve the criminal objective of obstructing the congressional certification."
Smith's team honed in on Trump's comments supporting former Proud Boys chairman Enrique Tarrio, who was convicted earlier this year of seditious conspiracy tied to the Capitol attack. Prosecutors pointed to a September 2023 interview in which Trump said of Tarrio that "he and other people have been treated horribly."
The Jan. 6-related evidence that prosecutors plan to introduce at trial — including Trump's past mention of possibly pardoning defendants should he be reelected — "shows that these individuals acted as [Trump] directed them to act," the special counsel wrote Tuesday, adding that he believes "the rioters' disruption of the certification proceeding is exactly what [Trump] intended on January 6."
Smith's partially redacted filing also revealed that prosecutors obtained what they say is evidence regarding an unnamed Trump 2020 campaign staffer who allegedly "encouraged rioting and other methods of obstruction" at a Detroit vote-counting center one day after the 2020 election, as the vote count began to favor then-candidate Joe Biden.
Such evidence, according to prosecutors, will be used at trial in an attempt to prove to the jury a key component of Smith's case against Trump: that he allegedly knew that he had lost the election, but pushed to "obstruct and overturn the legitimate results," the filing said.
In a statement, Trump's campaign spokesman Steven Cheung accused Smith of "perverting justice by trying to include claims that weren't anywhere to be found in their dreamt up, fake indictment."
"President Trump will not be deterred and will continue speaking truth to corrupt, weaponized power and law enforcement," Cheung's statement in response to Tuesday's court filing said.
The indictment against Trump — to which he has pleaded not guilty, and he denies any wrongdoing — alleged he engaged in a pattern of baseless claims of fraud in an effort to oppose the transition of presidential power. Tuesday's filing says prosecutors will show jurors social media posts and language dating back to 2012 and 2016 to demonstrate these propensities.
"The Government will offer proof of this refusal as intrinsic evidence of the defendant's criminal conspiracies because it shows his plan to remain in power at any cost — even in the face of potential violence," Smith's team wrote.
The trial in this case is currently scheduled for March 4, 2024.
Judge Tanya Chutkan, who is set to preside over the weeks-long proceeding, ruled last week that Trump cannot be shielded from criminal prosecution after leaving office for alleged conduct during his time in office. The former president argued special counsel Jack Smith's four charges should be dropped on the basis that presidents cannot be charged with a crime.
"Whatever immunities a sitting President may enjoy, the United States has only one Chief Executive at a time, and that position does not confer a lifelong 'get-out-of-jail-free' pass," Chutkan wrote Friday.
About 1,200 defendants have been charged for their alleged roles in the Jan. 6 attack, nearly 700 of whom have admitted to certain conduct and pleaded guilty.
- In:
- Donald Trump
Robert Legare is a CBS News multiplatform reporter and producer covering the Justice Department, federal courts and investigations. He was previously an associate producer for the "CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell."
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- US Olympic gymnastics trials recap: Fred Richard wins; who made team?
- Sophia Bush and Ashlyn Harris Mark the End of First Pride Month as a Couple in an Adorable Way
- ‘A Quiet Place’ prequel box office speaks volumes as Costner’s Western gets a bumpy start
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Hurricane Beryl strengthens into a Category 4 storm as it nears the southeast Caribbean
- Why Normani Canceled Her 2024 BET Awards Performance at the Last Minute
- Could more space junk fall in the US? What to know about Russian satellite breaking up
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- 3 NBA veterans on notice after 2024 draft: Donovan Clingan in, Blazers' Deandre Ayton out?
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- BET Awards return Sunday with performances from Lauryn Hill, Childish Gambino, Will Smith and more
- Tyla Wearing $230,000 Worth of Diamonds at 2024 BET Awards Is Pure ART
- Omarosa slams Donald Trump's 'Black jobs' debate comments, compares remarks to 'slavery'
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- See them while you can: Climate change is reshaping iconic US destinations
- A look at international media coverage of the Biden-Trump debate
- ‘Lab-grown’ meat maker hosts Miami tasting party as Florida ban goes into effect
Recommendation
Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
Biden is making appeals to donors as concerns persist over his presidential debate performance
Summer doldrums have set in, with heat advisories issued across parts of the US South
Why Eric Dane Thinks He Was Fired From Grey’s Anatomy
Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
ESPN's Dick Vitale diagnosed with cancer for fourth time
Terry Dubrow and Heather Dubrow's Family Photos Are Just What the Doctor Ordered
Michael Blackson Shares His Secret to Long-Lasting Relationship With Fiancée Rada Darling