Current:Home > FinanceThe first Titanic voyage in 14 years is happening in the wake of submersible tragedy. Hopes are high -Capitatum
The first Titanic voyage in 14 years is happening in the wake of submersible tragedy. Hopes are high
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 03:56:04
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The company that owns the salvage rights to the Titanic is undertaking its first expedition to the ship’s wreckage in years, and those involved in the mission said they have both heavy hearts and lofty goals for a trip happening a year after a submersible disaster involving another firm killed five people.
RMS Titanic Inc., a Georgia-based firm, holds the legal rights to salvage the wreck of the ship, which sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in 1912. The company’s first expedition to the site since 2010 launched Friday from Providence, Rhode Island.
The voyage arrives as the worldwide community of undersea explorers is still reeling from the deadly implosion of an experimental submersible en route to the Titanic in June 2023. The Titan submersible disaster killed all five people on board, including Paul-Henri Nargeolet, who was director of underwater research for RMS Titanic.
This summer’s mission to the Titanic “means even more with the passing” of Nargeolet, known as “Mr. Titanic” by many, RMST Inc. president Jessica Sanders said.
The expedition will use modern imaging technology and remotely operated vehicles to capture detailed images of the Titanic, the wreckage site and the debris field, RMST Inc. representatives said.
“This monumental undertaking will allow us to document the Titanic in unprecedented detail and share new discoveries from the wreck site with the public, continuing the extraordinary work and passion of PH,” Sanders said.
The ship headed to the site, the Dino Chouest, will take several days to reach the site and is slated to return around Aug. 13, said Jon Hammond, a spokesperson for RMST Inc.
The work will allow the company to provide a comprehensive analysis of the current condition of the Titanic wreckage site and a detailed assessment of artifacts that can be safely targeted for future recovery, RMST Inc. representatives said.
Nargeolet made more than 35 dives to the Titanic in his lifetime. The implosion also killed Titan operator Stockton Rush; two members of a prominent Pakistani family, Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son Suleman Dawood; and British adventurer Hamish Harding.
OceanGate, a company co-founded by Rush that owned the submersible, suspended operations a year ago. The U.S. Coast Guard convened a high-level investigation into what happened, but it has taken longer than expected and it’s unclear when the investigation will conclude.
Undersea explorers are waiting to learn the results of the investigation and RMST Inc.'s trip to the Titanic site is an important milestone in the site’s exploration, said Katy Croff Bell, founder of the Ocean Discovery League.
“The Coast Guard investigation is still ongoing and they have not released their results yet, so the final chapter in this episode has yet to come out,” Bell said. “One thing that has come out is there is perhaps more interest.”
This month’s journey to the Titanic also will allow comparison to 2010 imaging, RMST Inc. representatives said. The mission also may result in discovery of new areas of the debris field, previously unknown marine life and new areas of deterioration that could provide unobstructed access to the interior of the ship, the company stated on its website.
The vessel making the trip is equipped with two remotely operated vehicles that will be used to capture the first end-to-end mapping image of the wreck field and debris site, RMST Inc. said.
The expedition will include “the highest resolution camera systems ever deployed at the site in an effort to bring new insights about the ship to the community,” said Evan Kovacs, an underwater cinematographer working on the mission.
veryGood! (461)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- The 26 Most Popular Amazon Products This Month: Double Chin Masks, $1 Lipstick, Slimming Jumpsuits & More
- College football Week 5 grades: Ole Miss RB doubles as thespian; cheerleader's ninja move
- Chemical fire at pool cleaner plant forces evacuations in Atlanta suburb
- 'Most Whopper
- Jalen Milroe, Ryan Williams uncork an Alabama football party, humble Georgia, Kirby Smart
- Jussie Smollett says he has 'to move forward' after alleged hate crime hoax
- Residents told to evacuate or take shelter after Georgia chemical fire
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Why Oscar hopeful 'Nickel Boys' is 'nothing like' any film you've ever seen
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Kurt Cobain's Daughter Frances Bean Cobain Welcomes First Baby With Tony Hawk's Son Riley Hawk
- MLB playoff scenarios: NL wild card race coming down to the wire
- Multiple people dead after plane crash at Wright Brothers National Memorial’s First Flight Airport
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- AP Top 25: Alabama overtakes Texas for No. 1 and UNLV earns its 1st ranking in program history
- In Alabama loss, Georgia showed it has offense problems that Kirby Smart must fix soon
- Powerball winning numbers for September 28: Jackpot at $258 million
Recommendation
Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
WNBA playoff games today: What to know about Sunday's semifinal matchups
Every Bombshell From This Season of Sister Wives: Family Feuds, Money Disagreements and More
Guardsman wanted to work for RentAHitman.com. He's now awaiting a prison sentence
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
7UP clears up rumors about mocktail-inspired flavor, confirms Shirley Temple soda is real
Kristin Cavallari splits with 24-year-old boyfriend Mark Estes after 7 months
Knicks trade for Karl-Anthony Towns in blockbuster deal