Current:Home > NewsNew Hampshire teacher says student she drove to abortion clinic was 18, denies law was broken -Capitatum
New Hampshire teacher says student she drove to abortion clinic was 18, denies law was broken
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 21:17:23
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A private school teacher who says she was fired after driving an 18-year-old student to get an abortion is suing New Hampshire’s Department of Education and officials she says falsely suggested she circumvented state law.
New Hampshire law requires parents to receive written notice at least 48 hours before an abortion is performed on an unemancipated minor. But in this case, the student wasn’t living with her parents and was a legal adult, according to the lawsuit filed Monday.
The teacher, who filed the suit as “Jane Doe,” said she provided the student with contact information for a community health center last fall when the student disclosed her suspected pregnancy and later gave her a ride to the appointment in October. The school fired her within days and referred the matter to the Department of Education, which revoked her teaching license earlier this month.
The lawsuit says the department exceeded its authority and violated her due process rights by revoking her credentials without a fair and impartial process. And it accuses Education Commissioner Frank Edelblut of pushing a false narrative of her conduct via an opinion piece he published in April.
The essay, titled “Thank God Someone is Looking Out for the Children,” was published in response to New Hampshire Public Radio reports critical of the commissioner. In it, Edelblut asked rhetorically whether the department should “turn a blind eye” when “allegedly, an educator lies by calling in sick so they can take a student – without parental knowledge – to get an abortion.”
According to the lawsuit, department officials knew for months prior to the essay’s publication that the student in question was an adult and thus not subject to the parental notification law.
Kimberly Houghton, spokesperson for the department, declined to comment on its investigation of the teacher and referred questions about the lawsuit to the attorney general’s office. Michael Garrity, spokesperson for that agency, said Wednesday that officials are reviewing it and will respond in due course. Attorneys for the teacher did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The teacher’s firing was first reported last week by The Boston Globe, based on investigatory records it requested from the Education Department. The lawsuit said the department’s “biased and stilted disclosure” of information that should have remained confidential until the case was settled created a misleading narrative that damaged the teacher’s reputation and put her at risk.
A hearing is scheduled for July 3, five days before the teacher is set to begin a new job.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- Sabrina Carpenter reveals her own hits made it on her personal Spotify Wrapped list
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Atmospheric river and potential bomb cyclone bring chaotic winter weather to East Coast
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- China's ruling Communist Party expels former chief of sports body
- China's ruling Communist Party expels former chief of sports body
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Stock market today: Asian stocks are mixed ahead of key US inflation data
Ranking
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Most reports ordered by California’s Legislature this year are shown as missing
- Gen Z is 'doom spending' its way through the holidays. What does that mean?
- California judges say they’re underpaid, and their new lawsuit could cost taxpayers millions
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- SCDF aids police in gaining entry to cluttered Bedok flat, discovers 73
- Alex Jones keeps Infowars for now after judge rejects The Onion’s winning auction bid
- California judges say they’re underpaid, and their new lawsuit could cost taxpayers millions
Recommendation
Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
Turning dusty attic treasures into cash can yield millions for some and disappointment for others
Netizens raise privacy concerns over Acra's Bizfile search function revealing citizens' IC numbers
North Carolina announces 5
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Trump taps immigration hard
Taxpayers could get $500 'inflation refund' checks under New York proposal: What to know
Albertsons gives up on Kroger merger and sues the grocery chain for failing to secure deal