Current:Home > MyTrump’s co-defendants in classified documents case are asking judge to dismiss charges against them -Capitatum
Trump’s co-defendants in classified documents case are asking judge to dismiss charges against them
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:46:27
FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) — Lawyers for two co-defendants of former President Donald Trump in the classified documents case are asking a judge on Friday to dismiss charges against them.
Trump valet Walt Nauta and Mar-a-Lago property manager Carlos De Oliveira are charged with conspiring with Trump to obstruct an FBI investigation into the hoarding of classified documents at the former president’s Palm Beach estate. All three have pleaded not guilty.
Lawyers for Nauta and De Oliveira are set to ask U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon during a Friday afternoon hearing to throw out the charges they face, a request opposed by special counsel Jack Smith’s team, which brought charges against them and Trump. It’s unclear when the judge might rule.
The two Trump aides are not charged with illegally storing the documents but rather with helping Trump obstruct government efforts to get them back.
Prosecutors say that Nauta in 2022 moved dozens of boxes from a storage room at Mar-a-Lago to Trump’s residence in an apparent effort to prevent their return to the government and that he and De Oliveira conspired with Trump to try to delete surveillance video that showed the movement of the boxes and that was being sought by the FBI.
Lawyers for the men argue that there is no allegation that either man knew that the boxes contained sensitive government records.
“The Superseding Indictment does not allege that Mr. De Oliveira ever saw a classified document. It does not allege that Mr. De Oliveira was aware of the presence of any classified documents in the boxes that he moved,” lawyers for De Oliveira wrote in court filings.
They also say there’s no evidence that he was aware of any government investigation at the time he helped move boxes inside the property.
Trump, Republicans’ presumptive presidential nominee, has separately filed multiple motions seeking to dismiss charges against him. Cannon has denied two that were argued last month — one that said the Espionage Act statute at the heart of the case was unconstitutionally vague, the other that asserted that Trump was entitled under a 1978 law called the Presidential Records Act to retain the classified files as his personal property after he left the White House following his 2020 election loss to Democrat Joe Biden.
___
Tucker reported from Washington.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- New Baltimore police commissioner confirmed by City Council despite recent challenges
- Did House Speaker Kevin McCarthy make a secret deal with Biden on Ukraine?
- Rep. Matt Gaetz moves to oust Kevin McCarthy as House speaker
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- At a ‘Climate Convergence,’ Pennsylvania Environmental Activists Urge Gov. Shapiro and State Lawmakers to Do More to Curb Emissions
- Tori Spelling's Oldest Babies Are All Grown Up in High School Homecoming Photo
- India tells Canada to remove 41 of its 62 diplomats in the country, an official says
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Show them the medals! US women could rake in hardware at world gymnastics championships
Ranking
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Elon Musk facing defamation lawsuit in Texas over posts that falsely identified man in protest
- Britain’s COVID-19 response inquiry enters a second phase with political decisions in the spotlight
- 2 Army soldiers killed in Alaska as tactical vehicle flips
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Nobels season resumes with Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences awarding the prize in physics
- Escaped Virginia inmate identified as a suspect in a Maryland armed carjacking, police say
- 2 Army soldiers killed, 12 injured in crash of military transport vehicle in Alaska
Recommendation
New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
Student loan repayments: These charts explain how much student debt Americans owe
A blast at an illegal oil refinery site kills at least 15 in Nigeria, residents say
Jacksonville sheriff says body camera video shows officers were justified in beating suspect
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
With his mind fresh and body rejuvenated, LeBron James ready to roll with Lakers again
All 10 drugs targeted for Medicare price negotiations will participate, the White House says
Who is Laphonza Butler, California Gov. Gavin Newsom's choice to replace Feinstein in the Senate?