Current:Home > MyEthermac|Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case -Capitatum
Ethermac|Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:40:01
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Ethermacextended family of Erik and Lyle Menendez will advocate for the brothers’ release from prison during a news conference set for Wednesday in downtown Los Angeles as prosecutors review new evidence to determine whether they should be serving life sentences for killing their parents.
Billed as “a powerful show of unity” by more than a dozen family members — including the brothers’ aunt — who are traveling across the country to Los Angeles, the news conference will take place less than two weeks after LA County District Attorney George Gascón announced his office was looking at the brothers’ case again.
Erik Menendez, now 53, and his 56-year-old brother, Lyle Menendez, are currently incarcerated in state prison without the possibility of parole after being convicted of killing their parents in their Beverly Hills mansion more than 35 years ago.
Lyle Menendez, who was then 21, and Erik Menendez, then 18, admitted they fatally shot-gunned their entertainment executive father, Jose Menendez, and their mother, Kitty Menendez, in 1989 but said they feared their parents were about to kill them to prevent the disclosure of the father’s long-term sexual molestation of Erik.
The extended family’s attorney Bryan Freedman previously said they strongly support the brothers’ release. Comedian Rosie O’Donnell also plans to join the family on Wednesday.
“She wishes nothing more than for them to be released,” Freedman said earlier this month of Joan VanderMolen, Kitty Menendez’s sister and the brothers’ aunt.
Earlier this month, Gascón said there is no question the brothers committed the 1989 murders, but his office will be reviewing new evidence and will make a decision on whether a resentencing is warranted in the notorious case that captured national attention.
The brothers’ attorneys said the family believed from the beginning they should have been charged with manslaughter rather than murder. Manslaughter was not an option for the jury during the second trial that ultimately led to the brothers’ murder conviction, attorney Mark Geragos previously said.
The case has gained new traction in recent weeks after Netflix began streaming the true-crime drama “ Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story. ”
The new evidence includes a letter written by Erik Menendez that his attorneys say corroborates the allegations that he was sexually abused by his father. A hearing was scheduled for Nov. 29.
Prosecutors at the time contended there was no evidence of any molestation. They said the sons were after their parents’ multimillion-dollar estate.
But the brothers have said they killed their parents out of self-defense after enduring a lifetime of physical, emotional and sexual abuse from them. Their attorneys argue that because of society’s changing views on sexual abuse, that the brothers may not have been convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life without parole today.
Jurors in 1996 rejected a death sentence in favor of life without parole.
veryGood! (6668)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Dancing With the Stars Finds Tyra Banks' Replacement in Co-Host Julianne Hough
- 75 years after India's violent Partition, survivors can cross the border — virtually
- As takeover battle heats up, Elon Musk subpoenas former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Twitter's lawsuit against Elon Musk will go to trial in October
- Twitter may have hired a Chinese spy and four other takeaways from the Senate hearing
- In a bio-engineered dystopia, 'Vesper' finds seeds of hope
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Serbia school shooting leaves 8 students and a guard dead as teen student held as suspect
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Why Bachelor Nation's Andi Dorfman Says Freezing Her Eggs Kept Her From Settling
- King Charles III's coronation includes no formal roles for Princes Harry or Andrew
- The MixtapE! Presents Taylor Swift, Delilah Belle Hamlin, Matchbox Twenty and More New Music Musts
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- The Space Force is scrapping the annual fitness test in favor of wearable trackers
- The Space Force is scrapping the annual fitness test in favor of wearable trackers
- Privacy advocates fear Google will be used to prosecute abortion seekers
Recommendation
Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
Nebraska cops used Facebook messages to investigate an alleged illegal abortion
Meet the new GDP prototype that tracks inequality
This app compares Hubble and Webb images — the differences are astronomical
Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
Is Ted Lasso Ending After Season 3? Everything the Cast and Creators Have Said About the Finale
Is Ted Lasso Ending After Season 3? Everything the Cast and Creators Have Said About the Finale
Customs officials find 22 snakes in woman's checked bags at India airport