Current:Home > StocksCBS News says Trump campaign had ‘shifting explanations’ for why he snubbed ’60 Minutes’ -Capitatum
CBS News says Trump campaign had ‘shifting explanations’ for why he snubbed ’60 Minutes’
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:34:46
NEW YORK (AP) — CBS News said the Trump campaign offered “shifting explanations” for why it backed out of a “60 Minutes” interview special with presidential candidates that aired without him.
The network’s Scott Pelley appeared on the air Monday night to explain why Republican Donald Trump did not appear on what has become a “60 Minutes” tradition: back-to-back interviews with presidential candidates in the last month of the campaign.
Harris was on the show, interviewed by Bill Whitaker. Where Trump was supposed to appear, “60 Minutes” instead aired a story about an Arizona official pushing false claims about election fraud.
Pelley said that the Trump campaign “complained that we would fact-check the interview. We fact-check every story.”
The Trump team also demanded an apology for his interview during the 2020 campaign, where he claimed that correspondent Lesley Stahl said a laptop computer belonging to President Joe Biden’s son Hunter came from Russia. “She never said that,” Pelley said.
Pelley said that Trump’s team had agreed to an interview at the former president’s Mar-a-Lago home, with an additional talk in Butler, Pennsylvania, where he returned to the scene of a July assassination attempt.
Trump spokesman Steven Cheung said “60 Minutes” “begged for an interview.” The campaign did have concerns about the show’s reporting on Hunter Biden and how it insisted upon editing Trump’s comments, he said.
“There was nothing scheduled or agreed upon,” Cheung said. ”We had already long promised an exclusive in filming at Butler to another national outlet, which turned out the be Fox News.”
Trump’s interview with Fox’s Laura Ingraham aired an hour before “60 Minutes” on Monday night. His absence from CBS was not mentioned in their exchange. Trump apparently, watched, however, posting on Truth Social that the Harris interview “is considered by many of those who reviewed it, the WORST interview they have ever seen.”
Pelley poked at Trump, noting he had already turned down another opportunity to debate Harris, along with the “60 Minutes” interview, “which may have been the largest audience for the candidates between now and election day.”
Moving “60 Minutes” out of its traditional Sunday time slot may have depressed the audience size, however. An estimated 5.4 million people watched on Monday, according to preliminary Nielsen company figures, compared with the 9.6 million who saw the newsmagazine on Sunday, Sept. 29.
No estimate for Trump’s audience on Ingraham’s show was immediately available. Her show averaged 2.7 million viewers a night last week, Nielsen said.
___
David Bauder writes about media for the AP. Follow him at http://x.com/dbauder.
veryGood! (719)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- San Diego brush fire prompts home evacuations, freeway shutdowns as crews mount air attack
- 2024 NBA draft: Grades and analysis for every round 1 pick
- Democrats and their allies sue to keep RFK Jr. off the ballot in several states
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- IRS apologizes to billionaire Ken Griffin for leaking his tax records
- Nick Viall Slams Rumors About His Relationship With Wife Natalie Joy
- What Is It Really Like Partying With Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce? Jimmy Kimmel Explains
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Nicole Kidman and daughter Sunday twin in chic black dresses at Balenciaga show: See photos
Ranking
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Oklahoma prepares to execute man convicted of kidnapping, raping and killing 7-year-old girl in 1984
- Paris Hilton testifies before Congress on Capitol Hill about childhood sexual abuse
- Texas inmate Ramiro Gonzales set for execution on teen victim's birthday: Here's what to know
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Worst to first? Ranking 8 NFL teams' chances to jump to top of division in 2024
- Jessica Biel Supports Justin Timberlake at NYC Concert One Week After His Arrest
- Kenya Moore is not returning to 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' following suspension: Reports
Recommendation
Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
Caitlin Clark, Patrick Mahomes and More Score ESPYS 2024 Nominations: See the Complete List
Woman 'intentionally' ran over boyfriend, baby after dispute, Florida police say
Zach Edey NBA player comparisons: Who is Purdue big man, 2024 NBA Draft prospect similar to?
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Paris Hilton testifies before Congress on Capitol Hill about childhood sexual abuse
Louisville police chief resigns after mishandling sexual harassment claims
House Republicans ramp up efforts to enforce Garland subpoena after contempt vote