Current:Home > FinanceLos Angeles public school board votes to ban student cellphone use on campus -Capitatum
Los Angeles public school board votes to ban student cellphone use on campus
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:57:05
The Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education voted Tuesday to ban student cellphone usage on campuses during school hours, joining a growing number of school boards to take such action and becoming the largest district in the U.S. to do so.
The ban's purpose is to prevent the potentially negative impact that phones have on the mental health and well-being of students.
The vote, however, doesn't automatically mean the ban will be implemented as staff is still consulting with stakeholders and experts before specifics are set in stone.
"The phone-free school policy says from the moment students walk into class to the end of the day, they shouldn't have their phones," said LAUSD board member Nick Melvoin. "Let's have kids interact with one another, free from the distractions that we know are harming mental health, their academics."
The resolution by the board of the second largest school district in the U.S. cites research suggesting that students have less meaningful interactions with classmates and exhibit less propensity for learning when overly involved with their phones.
"Research indicates that excessive cell phone use impacts adolescents mental health and well-being and is associated with increased stress, anxiety, depression, sleep issues, feelings of aggression, and suicidal thoughts," said the Order of Business for Tuesday's meeting.
The proposal referenced other bans that have been implemented, including in Florida, where public schools began blocking student cellphone use during instructional time and prohibited access to social media while using district WiFi in 2023. Since then, districts in Oklahoma, Kansas, Vermont, Ohio, Louisiana and Pennsylvania have adopted similar restrictions, according to the LAUSD resolution.
Over the next four months, the district will develop a set of policies for social media and cell phone use during school hours on every LAUSD campus. The new policy would go into effect at the beginning of 2025.
Some parents have voiced opposition to a ban, noting that they would prefer their children to have access to their phones in the event of an emergency.
"They should have it for protection once they leave the school campus," said Regina Schoetz, an LAUSD parent who said she partially agrees with the motion, but doesn't think that the ultimate decision should fall on the district.
"I don't think there should be a big ban on [cellphones] or lock them away," she said. "I think it's up to the parent."
Melvoin says that the latest policy update to cellphone usage was implemented in 2011 and only calls for no phones during class time.
On Tuesday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced his own plans on the topic, citing the mental health risks of social media on children.
"As the Surgeon General affirmed, social media is harming the mental health of our youth," Newsom said in a statement. "I look forward to working with the Legislature to restrict the use of smartphones during the school day. When children and teens are in school, they should be focused on their studies — not their screens."
veryGood! (7793)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Shop These Jaw-Dropping Home Deals for Finds up to 60% Off That Will Instantly Upgrade Your Space
- Warriors guard Chris Paul fractures left hand, will require surgery
- Paul Mescal on that 'Foe' movie twist ending, why it's 'like 'Marriage Story' on steroids'
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- NFL winners, losers of Saturday Week 18: Steelers could sneak into playoffs at last minute
- A California law banning the carrying of firearms in most public places is blocked again
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Reveals What Makes Her and Husband Ryan Anderson's Marriage Work
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- 10 predictions for the rest of the 2024 MLB offseason | Nightengale's Notebook
Ranking
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- South Korea says the North has again fired artillery shells near their sea border
- More than 1.6 million Tesla electric vehicles recalled in China for autopilot, lock issues
- FBI still looking for person who planted pipe bombs ahead of Jan. 6 Capitol riot
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Florida’s Greek community celebrates the Epiphany with annual dive into water to retrieve cross
- A year after pro-Bolsonaro riots and dozens of arrests, Brazil is still recovering
- Death toll rises to 5 in hospital fire in northern Germany
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
This grandma raised her soldier grandson. Watch as he surprises her with this.
Longtime New Mexico state Sen. Garcia dies at age 87; champion of children, families, history
How the Golden Globes is bouncing back after past controversies
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
How the Dire Health Implications of Climate Change Are Unfolding Globally
A timeline of key moments leading to Japan planes colliding. Human error is seen as a possible cause
New Year, New Shoes— Save Up to 80% on Kate Spade, UGG, Sam Edelman, Steve Madden & More