Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:CEO of Web Summit tech conference resigns over Israel comments -Capitatum
Charles Langston:CEO of Web Summit tech conference resigns over Israel comments
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:28:13
The Charles Langstonchief executive of one of the world's largest technology conferences resigned on Saturday amid furor over remarks he made about the Israel-Hamas war sparked a boycott that led to droves of speakers and companies to pull out of the gathering.
Organizers for Web Summit, which drew more than 70,000 attendees last year, said the event will still take place in Lisbon next month and that a new CEO will soon be appointed.
Paddy Cosgrave, the Irish entrepreneur who founded Web Summit and has been running the event since 2009, announced his departure after a flurry of companies, including Google, Meta, Amazon and Intel, withdrew from the event in the wake of Cosgrave's comments.
Last week, he wrote on X that he was shocked at the rhetoric of so many Western leaders and governments in response to Israel's bombardment of Gaza following the Hamas terrorist attack that killed more than 1,300 people.
"War crimes are war crimes even when committed by allies, and should be called out for what they are," Cosgrave wrote, referring to Israel's wave of attacks on Gaza after the violence committed by Hamas.
The statement set off outrage, with venture capitalists, Israeli startup founders and Big Tech companies all pulling out of Web Summit, an annual conference that for the past 14 years has brought together some of the industry's top leaders and companies.
David Marcus, a former Facebook executive who oversaw the company's cryptocurrency project, was among those who criticized Cosgrave, writing on X: "Saddened by your ill-informed stance. You could've taken a more nuanced one, condemning these atrocities and calling for restraint. That would've been acceptable. You chose to support terrorists. As such I'll never attend/sponsor/speak at any of your events again."
As a boycott movement gained momentum, Cosgrave attempted to walk back his comments with a post on X: "We are devastated to see the terrible killings and the level of innocent civilian casualties in Israel and Gaza. We condemn the attacks by Hamas and extend our deepest sympathies to everyone who has lost loved ones. We hope for peaceful reconciliation."
But he then doubled down on his previous remark, saying: "To repeat: War crimes are war crimes even when committed by allies & should be called out for what they are."
As more backed out of the event, Cosgrave issued an apology in hopes of containing the fallout. He wrote that: "I understand that what I said, the timing of what I said, and the way it has been presented has caused profound hurt to many."
Pressure kept mounting, however, and on Saturday, Cosgrave announced that he was stepping aside as the leader of Web Summit. "Unfortunately, my personal comments have become a distraction from the event, and our team, our sponsors, our startups and the people who attend," he wrote on the event's website.
Web Summit was originally held in Dublin but moved in 2015 to Lisbon.
In his apology, Cosgrave wrote that he "unequivocally" supported Israel's right to defend itself, adding that "like so many figures globally, I also believe that, in defending itself, Israel should adhere to international law and the Geneva Conventions – i.e. not commit war crimes."
veryGood! (676)
Related
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Princess Kate makes surprise appearance with Prince William after finishing chemotherapy
- A Mississippi officer used excessive force against a man he arrested, prosecutors say
- Paramore's Hayley Williams Gets Candid on PTSD and Depression for World Mental Health Day
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- The brutal story behind California’s new Native American genocide education law
- Rihanna Shares Sweet Insight Into Holiday Traditions With A$AP Rocky and Their 2 Kids
- Florida power outage map: 2.2 million in the dark as Milton enters Atlantic
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Fall in Love With These Under $100 Designer Michael Kors Handbags With an Extra 20% off Luxury Styles
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Kentucky woman arrested after police found dismembered, cooked body parts in kitchen oven
- Utah candidates for Mitt Romney’s open US Senate seat square off in debate
- Climate change gave significant boost to Milton’s destructive rain, winds, scientists say
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Florida power outage map: 2.2 million in the dark as Milton enters Atlantic
- Strong opposition delays vote on $1.5M settlement over deadly police shooting
- Polling Shows Pennsylvania Voters Are Divided on Fracking
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Travis Kelce's Ex Kayla Nicole Reacts to Hate She’s Received Amid His Romance With Taylor Swift
'Need a ride?' After Hurricanes Helene and Milton hit this island, he came to help.
WNBA Finals Game 1: Lynx pull off 18-point comeback, down Liberty in OT
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Deion Sanders rips late start time for game vs. Kansas State: 'How stupid is that?'
Disney World and other Orlando parks to reopen Friday after Hurricane Milton shutdown
North Carolina maker of high-purity quartz back operating post-Helene