Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|Judge moves to slash $38 million verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Judge moves to slash $38 million verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 04:37:38
CONCORD,SafeX Pro Exchange N.H. (AP) — The judge who oversaw a landmark civil trial over abuse at New Hampshire’s youth detention center has issued a preliminary order slashing the $38 million verdict against the state to $475,000. Rockingham County Superior Court Judge Andrew Schulman previously said reducing the amount awarded to plaintiff David Meehan by nearly 99% would be an “unconscionable miscarriage of justice,” He reiterated that belief in a Nov. 4 order, but “reluctantly” granted the state’s request to the cap the award and said he would enter a final judgement to that effect on Friday barring any last-minute requests from attorneys.
Meehan’s allegations of horrific sexual and physical abuse at the Youth Development Center in 1990s led to a broad criminal investigation resulting in multiple arrests. His civil lawsuit seeking to hold the state accountable was the first of more than 1,100 to go to trial. Although jurors sided with him in May after a monthlong trial, confusion arose over how much money they could award in damages.
The dispute involves part of the verdict form that asked jurors “How many incidents does the jury unanimously find the plaintiff has proven by a preponderance of the evidence?” Jurors were not informed that state law caps claims against the state at $475,000 per “incident.”
Some jurors later said they wrote “one” on the verdict form to reflect that they believed Meehan suffered a single case of post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from more than 100 episodes of physical, sexual and emotional abuse. The state has interpreted the verdict to mean that jurors found it liable for only one “incident” of abuse at the Manchester facility, now called the Sununu Youth Services Center.
The judge has denied Meehan’s motions for a new trial focused only on determining the number of incidents or to set aside just the portion of the verdict in which jurors wrote one incident. He said an entirely new trial remains an option, but Meehan’s attorneys have not requested one.
Meehan, 42, went to police in 2017 and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested, though one has since died and charges against another were dropped after the man, now in his early 80s, was found incompetent to stand trial.
The only criminal case to go to trial so far ended in a mistrial in September after jurors deadlocked on whether the defendant, Victor Malavet, raped a girl at a separate state-run facility in Concord.
Bradley Asbury, who has pleaded not guilty to holding down a teenage boy while other staffers sexually assaulted him in Manchester, goes on trial next week.
veryGood! (12)
Related
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Nebraska man pulled over for having giant bull named Howdy Doody riding shotgun in his car
- Pope joins shamans, monks and evangelicals to highlight Mongolia’s faith diversity, harmony
- A pregnant Ohio mother's death by police sparked outrage. What we know about Ta'Kiya Young
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Where scorching temperatures are forecast in the US
- How one man fought a patent war over turmeric
- Hear Tom Brady's Historic First Phone Call With the Patriots After Being Selected 199th in 2000 NFL Draft
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Eminem sends Vivek Ramaswamy cease-and-desist letter asking that he stop performing Lose Yourself
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Blink-182 announces Travis Barker's return home due to urgent family matter, postpones European tour
- Federal judge blocks Texas law requiring I.D. to enter pornography websites
- Deal Alert: Save Up to 40% On Avec Les Filles Linen Blazers
- Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
- Schooner that sank in Lake Michigan in 1881 found intact, miles off Wisconsin coastline
- ACC adding Stanford, Cal, SMU feels like a new low in college sports
- Texas AG Ken Paxton’s impeachment trial is in the hands of Republicans who have been by his side
Recommendation
Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
What's open on Labor Day? Target, Walmart, Starbucks, McDonald's open; Costco closed
Gun and drug charges filed against Myon Burrell, sent to prison for life as teen but freed in 2020
Jimmy Buffett, 'Margaritaville' singer and mogul, dies: 'He lived his life like a song'
USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
Jimmy Buffett Dead at 76: Jon Bon Jovi, Elton John and Others Honor Margaritaville Singer
50 Cent throws microphone into crowd, reportedly hitting concertgoer: Video
Penn Badgley Reunites With Gossip Girl Sister Taylor Momsen