Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Reno man convicted of arsons linked to pattern of domestic violence, police say -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Reno man convicted of arsons linked to pattern of domestic violence, police say
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 07:07:29
RENO,Burley Garcia Nev. (AP) — A jury has found a 44-year-old Reno man guilty of five counts of arson for starting a pair of destructive fires that police said were linked to a pattern of domestic violence.
Matthew Kimmens was convicted earlier this year of domestic battery, the Reno Gazette Journal reported.
A Washoe County District Court jury convicted him Friday after a five-day trial on the arson charges stemming from the fires he started on Aug. 14, 2022, the newspaper reported. The flames destroyed one home and damaged three nearby.
The fires were near the home of the woman’s father. Authorities estimated the blazes caused $1.7 million in damage. Two helicopters, four airplanes and more than 15 fire engines responded to the growing blaze before the flames were doused.
Police said evidence linked the arson attacks to a pattern of domestic violence. The woman, who had been in a relationship with Kimmens for 2.5 years, told investigators they had a fight on the day of the fires and she left to stay at a hotel.
She said that Kimmens believed she was staying at her father’s home and told her on the telephone that day, “I hope they have lots of marshmallows.”
About 20 minutes later, a fire started. A jogger spotted a man matching Kimmens’ description throwing gasoline-colored liquid on sagebrush next to the road before a second blaze began.
Further investigation also unveiled in Reno police reports that Kimmens “has propensity for damaging property and being violent when it comes to his relationship,” the newspaper reported.
“The recklessness and utter disregard for public safety exhibited by Kimmens was frightening,” Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks said in a statement Monday. “If not for the extraordinary suppression efforts by firefighters, this tragedy could have been far worse.”
He was arrested last November after the woman reported he hit and strangled her.
His sentencing is set for Dec. 18.
veryGood! (61469)
Related
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- 'Sympathizer' proves Hollywood has come a long way from when I was in a Vietnam War film
- Energy transition: will electric vehicle sales ever catch up? | The Excerpt
- The dreams of a 60-year-old beauty contestant come to an abrupt end in Argentina
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Stan Wawrinka, who is 39, beats Andy Murray, who is 37, at the French Open. Alcaraz and Osaka win
- Massachusetts man arrested after stabbing attack in AMC theater, McDonald's injured 6 people
- 14-time champion Rafael Nadal loses in the French Open’s first round to Alexander Zverev
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Lizzo reacts to 'South Park' joke about her in Ozempic episode: 'My worst fear'
Ranking
- Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
- Bear shot dead after attacking 15-year-old in Arizona cabin: Not many kids can say they got in a fight with a bear
- Millions vote in India's election with Prime Minister Modi's party likely to win a 3rd term
- Farmworkers face high-risk exposures to bird flu, but testing isn’t reaching them
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- $15 Big Macs: As inflation drives up fast food prices, map shows how they differ nationwide
- Trista Sutter Breaks Silence About Her Absence and Reunites With Husband Ryan and Kids
- European space telescope photos reveal new insights in deep space
Recommendation
US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
Taylor Swift adds three opening acts to her summer Eras Tour concerts in London
Full transcript of Face the Nation, May 26, 2024
One family lost 2 sons during WWII. It took 80 years to bring the last soldier home.
2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
One family lost 2 sons during WWII. It took 80 years to bring the last soldier home.
To Incinerate Or Not To Incinerate: Maryland Hospitals Grapple With Question With Big Public Health Implications
Harrison Butker says 'I do not regret at all' controversial commencement speech