Current:Home > ScamsColumbia will set up fund for victims of doctor convicted of sex crimes, notify 6,500 patients -Capitatum
Columbia will set up fund for victims of doctor convicted of sex crimes, notify 6,500 patients
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 07:37:53
NEW YORK (AP) — Columbia University and a university-affiliated hospital announced Monday that they will notify 6,500 former patients of disgraced gynecologist Robert Hadden of federal sex crimes he was convicted of earlier this year.
Under the plan announced by Columbia and Columbia University Irving Medical Center, patients who were abused by Hadden over his decadeslong career will be given the opportunity to apply for compensation from a $100 million settlement fund.
Victims can also sue under New York’s Adult Survivors Act, but the one-year window to file lawsuits closes after Nov. 23.
Hadden was convicted in January of four counts of enticing victims to cross state lines so he could sexually abuse them. He was sentenced in July to 20 years in prison.
Hadden 65, pleaded guilty earlier to state charges, admitting that he had sexually abused patients.
Federal prosecutors said Hadden sexually abused patients from 1993 through at least 2012 while he was working at the Irving Medical Center and New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
His accusers included Evelyn Yang, the wife of former presidential candidate and New York mayoral candidate Andrew Yang, who said Hadden abused her when she was pregnant with her first child.
“We owe it to the courageous survivors and the entire Columbia community to fully reckon with Hadden’s abuses,” Columbia University President Minouche Shafik and Irving Medical Center CEO Dr. Katrina Armstrong said in a news release. “Columbia failed these survivors, and for that we are deeply sorry.”
Shafik and Armstrong said the multi-pronged plan to address the legacy of Hadden’s abuse will include an independent investigation to examine the failures that allowed the abuse to continue and the establishment of a center for patient safety.
Direct notice will be sent to nearly 6,500 former Hadden patients to alert them to his conviction and sentence and to inform them of their right to sue or to seek compensation from the settlement fund, the officials said.
The fund will open in January 2024 and stay open for at least a year, they said.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Dabo Swinney goes on rant in response to caller on Clemson football radio show
- 'The Wedding Planner' star Bridgette Wilson-Sampras diagnosed with ovarian cancer, husband says
- Matthew Perry’s Ex-Fiancée Molly Hurwitz Speaks Out on His Death
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Australia says it won’t bid for the 2034 World Cup, Saudi Arabia likely to host
- Man, teen charged with homicide in death of boy, 5, found in dumpster
- Florida school district agrees to improve instruction for students who don’t speak English
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Adam Johnson's Partner Ryan Wolfe Pens Heartbreaking Message to Ice Hockey Star After His Tragic Death
Ranking
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Germany’s highest court overturns a reform that allowed for new trials after acquittals
- Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc & David Schwimmer Mourn Matthew Perry's Death
- Army said Maine shooter should not have gun, requested welfare check
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Salma Hayek Describes “Special Bond” With Fools Rush In Costar Matthew Perry
- Police investigating alleged robbery after Colorado players say jewelry taken at Rose Bowl
- Golden Bachelor’s Sandra Mason Reacts to Criticism Over Missing Daughter’s Wedding for the Show
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Family sues Colorado funeral home where 189 decaying bodies were found over alleged fake ashes
Albuquerque’s annual hot air balloon fiesta continues to grow after its modest start 51 years ago
Massachusetts governor says state is working with feds to help migrants in shelters find work
Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
U.S. says Russia executing soldiers who refuse to fight in Ukraine
AP PHOTOS: 3-day Halloween festival draws huge crowds to Romania’s capital, Bucharest
Two pastors worry for their congregants’ safety. Are more guns the answer or the problem?