Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Man accused of setting Denver house fire that killed 5 in Senegalese family set to enter plea -Capitatum
Rekubit-Man accused of setting Denver house fire that killed 5 in Senegalese family set to enter plea
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 02:44:23
DENVER (AP) — A man accused of setting a house fire that killed five members of a Senegalese family in 2020 in a case of misplaced revenge was set to appear in court Friday to enter a plea.
Kevin Bui,Rekubit 20, was 16 at the time of the fire but prosecuted as an adult, charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, arson and burglary. He has been portrayed by prosecutors as the ringleader of a group of three friends who started the Aug. 5, 2020, fire in the middle of the night because he believed people who had recently robbed him lived in the home after mistakenly tracking his stolen iPhone there using an app.
He is the last of the three to enter a plea in the fire that killed Djibril Diol, 29 and Adja Diol, 23 and their 22-month-old daughter, Khadija Diol, and their relative, Hassan Diol, 25, and her 6-month-old daughter Hawa Baye. Three other people escaped by jumping from the second floor of the home.
Last year, Dillon Siebert, who was 14 at the time of the fire, was sentenced to three years in juvenile detention and seven years in a state prison program for young inmates. He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder under a deal that prosecutors and the defense said balanced his lesser role in planning the fire, his remorse and interest in rehabilitation with the horror of the crime.
In March, Gavin Seymour, 19, was sentenced to 40 years in prison after pleading guilty to one count of second-degree murder.
Seymour’s plea came after a failed effort to get the internet search history evidence that led to their arrests thrown out.
The investigation of the fire dragged on for months without any leads. Surveillance video showed three suspects wearing full face masks and dark hoodies. Fears that the blaze had been a hate crime led many Senegalese immigrants to install security cameras at their homes in case they could also be targeted.
Without anything else to go on, police eventually obtained a search warrant asking Google for which IP addresses had searched the home’s address within 15 days of the fire. Five of the IP addresses found were based in Colorado, and police obtained the names of those people through another search warrant. After investigating those people, police eventually identified Bui, Seymour and Siebert as suspects. They were arrested about five months after the fire.
In October, the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the search of Google users’ keyword history, an approach that critics have called a digital dragnet that threatens to undermine people’s privacy and their constitutional protections against unreasonable searches and seizures.
However, the court cautioned it was not making a “broad proclamation” on the constitutionality of such warrants and emphasized it was ruling on the facts of just this case.
veryGood! (4256)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Biden plans to travel to Wisconsin next week to highlight energy policies and efforts to lower costs
- Julianne Hough Says Ex Brooks Laich Making Her Feel Like a “Little Girl” Contributed to Their Divorce
- Caitlin Clark's next game: Indiana Fever vs. Connecticut Sun on Wednesday
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Museum opens honoring memory of Juan Gabriel, icon of Latin music
- Michigan mayor dismissed from lawsuit over city’s handling of lead in water
- Travis Kelce invests in racehorse aptly named Swift Delivery
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- Caitlin Clark's next game: Indiana Fever vs. Connecticut Sun on Wednesday
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Tori Spelling Shares Why She's Dressing 7-Year-Old Son Beau in School Clothes Before Bed
- Bud Light rolls out limited-edition college football team cans: See which 26 teams made the cut
- Actress Sara Chase Details “Secret Double Life” of Battling Cancer While on Broadway
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Mississippi wildlife officer and K-9 receive medal for finding 3 missing children
- Armie Hammer Reveals He’s Selling His Truck Since He “Can’t Afford the Gas Anymore”
- LeBron James, Anthony Edwards among NBA stars in ‘Starting 5’ Netflix series
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Missouri death row inmate gets another chance at a hearing that could spare his life
Hard Knocks recap: Velus Jones Jr., Ian Wheeler, Austin Reed get one last chance to impress Bears
Auditor faults Pennsylvania agency over fees from Medicaid-funded prescriptions
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Workers are breaching Klamath dams, which will let salmon swim freely for first time in a century
How Christopher Reeve’s Wife Dana Reeve Saved His Life After Paralyzing Accident
GM delays Indiana electric vehicle battery factory but finalizes joint venture deal with Samsung