Current:Home > reviewsInternational Ice Hockey Federation to mandate neck guards after the death of a player by skate cut -Capitatum
International Ice Hockey Federation to mandate neck guards after the death of a player by skate cut
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:56:55
The International Ice Hockey Federation announced Monday it is making neck guards mandatory for all levels of competition in the tournaments it runs, including the Olympics and men’s and women’s world championships.
The mandate would not apply to professional leagues, including the NHL, which currently does not have any cut-proof safety requirements for players. Any sort of mandate in the NHL would require an agreement between the league and players’ union, which have been discussing skate blade safety for years.
The IIHF’s move comes after the death of American Adam Johnson, whose neck was cut by a skate blade during a game in England in late October. Johnson’s death at age 29 is being investigated, and the on-ice tragedy has sparked significant debate around the sport about the need for more protection of the neck, wrists and legs.
The exact date for the IIHF neck guard mandate to go into place is still to be determined, based on the supply of neck guards available.
“The IIHF remains in close contact with its suppliers to ensure they are able to respond to the current high demand,” the organization said. “Until the rule officially goes into effect, the IIHF continues to strongly recommend that neck laceration protectors are worn by all players performing in an IIHF competition.”
Before now, the IIHF initially had neck protection rules only for under-20 and under-18 play, so neck guards were already mandatory in tournaments like the world junior championship. The organization that governs hockey around the world decided to widen the order based on the recommendation of its medical committee.
The English Ice Hockey Association, which governs the sport below the Elite League where Johnson played, reacted to his death by requiring all players in England to wear neck guards beginning in 2024. Similar to the IIHF, the mandate was not immediate because of supply issues.
NHL VP of hockey operations Rod Pasma addressed general managers last month on cut-proof equipment. Pasma said players have far more options than a decade ago, including 10 or more choices for wrist, body and Achilles tendon/foot protection but fewer options for neck guards.
“In the neck, we’re getting there,” Pasma said. “We (did not have) many a month ago, but as it sits today, I think there’s up to eight companies on my desk waiting to be cleared, and of those eight there’s probably 12-14 options to wear, should they choose.”
Several NHL players, including Washington’s T.J. Oshie and Tampa Bay’s Cole Koepke, have donned neck guards for games this season in light of Johnson’s death.
“NHL guys, I think it’s super important that they know it’s going to be available,” Oshie said. “We’re grown men. If you don’t want to do it, you don’t. At least now, middle of the season, I don’t know if it’s necessary to mandate it, but you can make your own choices. I made my choice for my kids. I want to stick around from them. Just trying to decrease the chance of injury.”
___
AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/nhl
veryGood! (84354)
Related
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Man deliberately drives into a home and crashes into a police station in New Jersey, police say
- Former Kansas basketball player Arterio Morris remains enrolled at KU amid rape charge
- Will Lionel Messi play vs. New York City FC? How to watch Inter Miami take on NYCFC
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- 3 Baton Rouge police officers arrested amid investigations into 'torture warehouse'
- Aerosmith postpones farewell tour to next year due to Steven Tyler's fractured larynx
- Germany’s government and Elon Musk spar on X over maritime rescue ships
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Panama Canal reduces the maximum number of ships travelling the waterway to 31 per day
Ranking
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Miss Utah Noelia Voigt Crowned Miss USA 2023 Winner
- Israeli soldiers kill a Palestinian man in West Bank, saying he threw explosives
- Giants fire manager Gabe Kapler two years after 107-win season. Could Bob Melvin replace him?
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- U2 prepares to open new Las Vegas residency at cutting-edge venue Sphere
- Apple says it will fix software problems blamed for making iPhone 15 models too hot to handle
- California governor signs law to bolster eviction protections for renters
Recommendation
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
The police chief who led a raid of a small Kansas newspaper has been suspended
Rewatching 'Gilmore Girls' or 'The West Wing'? Here's what your comfort show says about you
Katy Perry signs on for 2024 'Peppa Pig' special, battles octogenarian in court
Travis Hunter, the 2
Ryder Cup getting chippy as Team USA tip their caps to Patrick Cantlay, taunting European fans
Thousands of cantaloupes sold in 19 states and DC recalled after potential salmonella link
An Ecuadorian migrant was killed in Mexico in a crash of a van operated by the immigration agency