Current:Home > MyArtworks believed stolen during Holocaust seized from museums in 3 states -Capitatum
Artworks believed stolen during Holocaust seized from museums in 3 states
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 10:27:25
NEW YORK (AP) — Three artworks believed stolen during the Holocaust from a Jewish art collector and entertainer have been seized from museums in three different states by New York law enforcement authorities.
The artworks by Austrian Expressionist Egon Schiele were all previously owned by Fritz Grünbaum, a cabaret performer and songwriter who died at the Dachau concentration camp in 1941.
The art was seized Wednesday from the Art Institute of Chicago, the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh and the Allen Memorial Art Museum at Oberlin College in Ohio.
Warrants issued by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office say there’s reasonable cause to believe the three artworks are stolen property.
The three works and several others from the collection, which Grünbaum began assembling in the 1920s, are already the subject of civil litigation on behalf of his heirs. They believe the entertainer was forced to cede ownership of his artworks under duress.
The son of a Jewish art dealer in what was then Moravia, Grünbaum studied law but began performing in cabarets in Vienna in 1906.
A well-known performer in Vienna and Berlin by the time Adolf Hitler rose to power, Grünbaum challenged the Nazi authorities in his work. He once quipped from a darkened stage, “I can’t see a thing, not a single thing; I must have stumbled into National Socialist culture.”
Grünbaum was arrested and sent to Dachau in 1938. He gave his final performance for fellow inmates on New Year’s Eve 1940 while gravely ill, then died on Jan. 14, 1941.
The three pieces seized by Bragg’s office are: “Russian War Prisoner,” a watercolor and pencil on paper piece valued at $1.25 million, which was seized from the Art Institute; “Portrait of a Man,” a pencil on paper drawing valued at $1 million and seized from the Carnegie Museum of Art; and “Girl With Black Hair,” a watercolor and pencil on paper work valued at $1.5 million and taken from Oberlin.
The Art Institute said in a statement Thursday, “We are confident in our legal acquisition and lawful possession of this work. The piece is the subject of civil litigation in federal court, where this dispute is being properly litigated and where we are also defending our legal ownership.”
The Carnegie Museum said it was committed to “acting in accordance with ethical, legal, and professional requirements and norms” and would cooperate with the authorities.
A request for comment was sent to the Oberlin museum.
Before the warrants were issued Wednesday, the Grünbaum heirs had filed civil claims against the three museums and several other defendants seeking the return of artworks that they say were looted from Grünbaum.
They won a victory in 2018 when a New York judge ruled that two works by Schiele had to be turned over to Grünbaum’s heirs under the Holocaust Expropriated Recovery Act, passed by Congress in 2016.
In that case, the attorney for London art dealer of Richard Nagy said Nagy was the rightful owner of the works because Grünbaum’s sister-in-law, Mathilde Lukacs, had sold them after his death.
But Judge Charles Ramos ruled that there was no evidence that Grünbaum had voluntarily transferred the artworks to Lukacs. “A signature at gunpoint cannot lead to a valid conveyance,” he wrote.
Raymond Dowd, the attorney for the heirs in their civil proceedings, referred questions about the seizure of the three works on Wednesday to the district attorney’s office.
The actions taken by the Bragg’s office follow the seizures of what investigators said were looted antiquities from museums in Cleveland and Worcester, Massachusetts.
Manhattan prosecutors believe they have jurisdiction in all of the cases because the artworks were bought and sold by Manhattan art dealers at some point.
Douglas Cohen, a spokesperson for the district attorney, said he could not comment on the artworks seized except to say that they are part of an ongoing investigation.
veryGood! (1821)
Related
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Louisiana couple each gets 20 years after neglected daughter’s death on maggot-infested couch
- Horoscopes Today, March 21, 2024
- Lawsuit from family of Black man killed by police in Oregon provides additional details of shooting
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- There's so much electronic waste in the world it could span the equator – and it's still growing
- Appeals court orders judge to investigate juror bias claims in Boston bomber's trial
- Tennessee becomes first state to pass a law protecting musicians against AI
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Stellantis lays off about 400 salaried workers to handle uncertainty in electric vehicle transition
Ranking
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- More than 440,000 Starbucks mugs recalled after reports of injuries from overheating and breakage
- Southern Baptists pick a California seminary president to lead its troubled administrative body
- Trump's campaign, fundraising arms spent over $10 million on legal fees in 2024, as Biden spends on ads, new staff
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- With organic fields next door, conventional farms dial up the pesticide use, study finds
- Texas Lawmaker Seeks to Improve Texas’ Power Capacity by Joining Regional Grid and Agreeing to Federal Oversight
- An American Who Managed a Shrimp Processing Plant in India Files a Whistleblower Complaint With U.S. Authorities
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Review: ‘Water for Elephants’ on Broadway is a three-ring circus with zero intrigue
Alabama woman who faked kidnapping pleads guilty to false reporting
Bus hijacked in downtown Los Angeles collides with several vehicles and crashes into a hotel
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Georgia Senate lawmakers give final passage to bill to loosen health permit rules
Julia Fox Turns Heads After Wearing Her Most Casual Outfit to Date
Post Malone teases country collaboration with Morgan Wallen: 'Let's go with the real mix'