Current:Home > MyWoody Allen attends Venice Film Festival with wife Soon-Yi Previn amid controversial reception -Capitatum
Woody Allen attends Venice Film Festival with wife Soon-Yi Previn amid controversial reception
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 03:48:26
So far, Woody Allen's run at the Venice International Film Festival has been a whirlwind of adulation and controversy.
The disgraced director was in Venice, Italy, over the long weekend to debut his latest film, the French dramedy "Coup de Chance." Allen made the film’s red carpet Monday a family affair, making a rare appearance with wife Soon-Yi Previn and daughters Bechet and Manzie.
Allen and Previn were nearly matching in black formalwear, while Manzie wore a red dress with a navy blue bow and Bechet a white dress with a chain belt.
"Coup de Chance" received an enthusiastic reception at the festival, with viewers giving Allen and his film a three-minute standing ovation following its showing, according to video provided by Variety.
"I've been very lucky with my filmmaking and have had over my lifetime much undeserved praise and (an) enormous amount of attention and respect," said Allen at a press conference ahead of the film's premiere. "So, I have nothing but good fortune, and I hope it holds out."
But Allen's appearance at the Venice Film Festival was also met with opposition.
According to video obtained by Variety, a group of protesters reportedly marched outside the "Coup de Chance" premiere.
"This year the Biennale Venice Film Festival has decided to give space to Woody Allen, Luc Besson and Roman Polanski, three directors involved in sexual violence against women, including minors," a flyer seemingly made by protesters read, film journalist Luke Hearfield shared on X.
Allen has become the subject of controversy in recent years after his adoptive daughter Dylan Farrow's allegations of sexual abuse resurfaced in the wake of the #MeToo movement. Farrow has long maintained that Allen molested her when she was a child, discussing the alleged assault in articles and on camera, including Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering's HBO docuseries "Allen v. Farrow."
Allen has consistently denied the allegations and has not been criminally charged.
Allen's last directorial feature was the 2020 romantic comedy "Rifkin's Festival," starring Wallace Shawn, Michael Garvey and Damian Chapa. "Coup de Chance" marks the Oscar-winning director's 50th film. In a September 2022 interview with Spanish publication La Vanguardia, the 87-year-old said he planned to focus more on his writing career after production wrapped on the film.
Allen previously discussed scaling back on filmmaking during an Instagram Live session with actor Alec Baldwin in June 2022, telling Baldwin "a lot of the thrill is gone because it doesn't have the whole cinema effect."
"When I started, you'd do a film and it would go into movie houses all over the country and people would come by the hundreds to watch it in big groups on the big screen," Allen said. "Now, you do a movie and you get a couple of weeks in a movie house…and then it goes right to streaming."
'That's a good time to stop':Woody Allen says 50th film will be his last
More:Woody Allen tells Alec Baldwin he'll 'probably make at least one more movie'
Contributing: Pamela Avila, USA TODAY
veryGood! (1726)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Fossil Fuels on Federal Lands: Phase-Out Needed for Climate Goals, Study Says
- Fly-Fishing on Montana’s Big Hole River, Signs of Climate Change Are All Around
- Scarlett Johansson Recalls Being “Sad and Disappointed” in Disney’s Response to Her Lawsuit
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Urgent Climate Action Required to Protect Tens of Thousands of Species Worldwide, New Research Shows
- Jewelry chain apologizes for not accepting U.S. service member's Puerto Rico driver's license as valid U.S. ID
- Why Christine Quinn's Status With Chrishell Stause May Surprise You After Selling Sunset Feud
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $250 Crossbody Bag for Just $59
Ranking
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Hendra virus rarely spills from animals to us. Climate change makes it a bigger threat
- Montana voters reject so-called 'Born Alive' ballot measure
- Today’s Climate: August 14-15, 2010
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- 20 teens injured when Texas beach boardwalk collapses
- Joran van der Sloot, prime suspect in Natalee Holloway's 2005 disappearance, pleads not guilty to extortion charges
- Amid vaccine shortages, Lebanon faces its first cholera outbreak in three decades
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
2024 dark horse GOP presidential candidate Doug Burgum launches campaign with $3 million ad buy
Walmart offers to pay $3.1 billion to settle opioid lawsuits
Harry Potter's Miriam Margolyes Hospitalized With Chest Infection
How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
Colorado Court Strikes Down Local Fracking Restrictions
Could this cheaper, more climate-friendly perennial rice transform farming?
More than 1 billion young people could be at risk of hearing loss, a new study shows