Current:Home > ContactTigers broadcaster Craig Monroe being investigated for alleged criminal sexual conduct -Capitatum
Tigers broadcaster Craig Monroe being investigated for alleged criminal sexual conduct
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 04:51:08
Craig Monroe, a former baseball player with the Detroit Tigers and a current television and radio analyst covering the team, is the subject of a law enforcement investigation into alleged criminal sexual conduct in Florida, according to records obtained by the Detroit Free Press, part of the USA TODAY Network.
The news comes weeks after the Tigers and Bally Sports Detroit pulled Monroe from broadcasts following allegations of sexual assault posted to social media.
In a statement late Tuesday from a lawyer, Monroe denied the allegations.
Gabriella Ruiz, a spokesperson with the Charlotte County (Florida) Sheriff’s Office, confirmed authorities are looking into Monroe, but declined to provide additional details.
"This is an active investigation and anyone with information is asked to come forward," Ruiz said in an email Tuesday afternoon, declining to provide additional information.
All things Tigers: Latest Detroit Tigers news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
On Tuesday, the Free Press filed a request under Florida open records laws with the Sheriff's Office for documents pertaining to Monroe. The record provided is heavily redacted, but indicates on June 12 someone with the office spoke with a caller about an "alleged sexual crime" in Port Charlotte, Florida.
The report indicates the investigation description is an "alledge (sic) child sex crime."
Until recently, Monroe worked for Bally Sports Detroit as an analyst covering the Tigers. He was abruptly pulled from his job after a June 9 game and has not worked a telecast since.
Both the Tigers and Bally Sports confirmed removing him from their schedule, noting the misconduct allegations posted to social media.
"Bally Sports Detroit and the Tigers are aware of the social media allegations and take them seriously. As previously stated, Mr. Monroe has not been on the broadcast schedule and that will continue on an indefinite basis. We will have no further comment and any questions should be directed to Mr. Monroe," the network and team relayed in a joint statement.
The woman who posted the allegations said in at least one video she already approached police. The Free Press messaged with her Saturday through X, formerly Twitter, at which time she said she was consulting with her lawyer. The Free Press reached back out Tuesday, but had not yet heard back.
Michael Manley, a Flint lawyer for Monroe who has represented other former athletes, said in an emailed statement that his client "has no choice but to vehemently deny these claims."
“Craig Monroe takes allegations of this nature very seriously and would never commit or condone such despicable conduct,” Manley said in part of the statement, noting his client will cooperate with law enforcement.
“We trust that law enforcement will uncover the truth regarding her background and motivations.”
The allegations suggest Monroe repeatedly engaged in criminal sexual conduct starting when the woman was 12 and both lived in Florida. The woman who made the posts does not provide her full name, but does offer specific descriptions of alleged illegal conduct in both video and text formats.
Monroe, 47, played outfield for the Tigers from 2002 to 2007. He joined Bally Sports covering the Tigers in 2012.
Reach Dave Boucher at [email protected] and on X, previously Twitter, @Dave_Boucher1.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Dancing With the Stars' Jenn Tran Shares How She's Leaning on Jonathan Johnson After Breakup
- Atlantic City mayor, wife indicted for allegedly beating and abusing their teenage daughter
- Trail camera captures 'truly amazing' two-legged bear in West Virginia: Watch
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Gia Giudice Shares Hangover Skincare Hacks, the Item She Has in Her Bag at All Times & $2 Beauty Tools
- US sends soldiers to Alaska amid Russian military activity increase in the area
- Chris Hemsworth Can Thank His 3 Kids For Making Him to Join Transformers Universe
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- Trail camera captures 'truly amazing' two-legged bear in West Virginia: Watch
Ranking
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Proof You're Probably Saying Olympian Ilona Maher's Name Wrong
- The Secret Service again faces scrutiny after another gunman targets Trump
- The Secret Service again faces scrutiny after another gunman targets Trump
- Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
- Jason Kelce Has Cheeky Response to Critic “Embarrassed” by His Dancing
- Partial lunar eclipse occurs during Harvest supermoon: See the stunning photos
- For families of Key Bridge collapse victims, a search for justice begins
Recommendation
The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
Woman accused of driving an SUV into a crowd in Minneapolis and killing a teenager
What to know about the threats in Springfield, Ohio, after false claims about Haitian immigrants
'World-changing' impact: Carlsbad Caverns National Park scolds visitor who left Cheetos
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
False reports of explosives found in a car near a Trump rally spread online
Could Panthers draft another QB after benching Bryce Young? Ranking top options in 2025
Eric Roberts Apologizes to Sister Julia Roberts Amid Estrangement