Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen -Capitatum
Robert Brown|McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 07:21:42
A franchisee of fast food giant McDonald’s has agreed to pay a teenage girl $4.4 million to settle her lawsuit over having been sexually assaulted by a Pittsburgh-area restaurant manager who was a registered sex offender,Robert Brown the victim’s lawyers announced on Monday.
The deal between the girl, who was 14 at the time of the 2021 sexual assault, and McDonald’s franchisee Rice Enterprises LLC, compensates her for the attack by Walter A. Garner in the restaurant bathroom.
At the time, Garner, now 44, had served prison time and was listed on the Megan’s Law website for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl.
Garner pleaded guilty in 2021 to statutory sexual assault, indecent assault and other charges for the McDonald’s assault and is serving a state prison sentence. A message seeking comment was left Monday for the public defenders who represented him in that case and in the 2003 case that was resolved with a guilty plea to aggravated indecent assault and other charges.
The lawsuit helped prompt an October 2021 strike by workers in 12 U.S. cities, an effort to get the company to better address what they described as an ongoing problem of sexual harassment and violence in McDonald’s stores.
Through a McDonald’s spokesperson, Rice Enterprises said it fired Garner as soon as they learned of the allegations against him in 2021.
“Since then, we’ve redoubled our efforts to ensure a positive and respectful experience for all employees in our restaurants, and our organization maintains a zero-tolerance policy for harassment of any kind,” Rice Enterprises said in the emailed statement. The company said it puts new hires through “safe and respectful workplace training” and has enhanced security.
The employee was 14 when she began working at a McDonald’s in Bethel Park in October 2020. She said she had no training on sexual harassment or how to report it. Garner made sexual comments to her and touched her inappropriately before the bathroom sexual assault in mid-February 2021, according to the lawsuit.
Garner was arrested in April 2021 after another McDonald’s employee told administrators at her school about his behavior and police were called, the lawsuit said.
Lawyer Alan Perer, who represents the girl and her parents in the Allegheny County civil litigation, said he questions how a sex offender was hired to manage girls of high school age.
“For a company to allow a known sex offender to have access to and control over young teens turns America’s best first job into a nightmare for those teens,” Perer said in a release.
McDonald’s USA called the girl’s assault deeply troubling, issuing a statement that said violence and sexual harassment are completely unacceptable. The company said it is committed to providing franchisees with training resources to help prevent harassment.
veryGood! (1486)
Related
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- US Olympic Committee sues Logan Paul's Prime energy drink over copyright violation claims
- Fourth Wing TV Show Reveals New Details That Will Have You Flying High
- Who could Kamala Harris pick as her VP? Here are 10 potential running mates
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- All-Big Ten preseason football team, selected by USA TODAY Sports Network
- Keanu Reeves explains why it's good that he's 'thinking about death all the time'
- 3 killed, 6 injured after argument breaks into gunfire at Philadelphia party: reports
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Mark Carnevale, former PGA Tour winner and golf broadcaster, dies a week after working his last tournament
Ranking
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Top Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2024 Deals Under $50: Get a Pearl Necklace for $35 & More Up to 50% Off
- Rare black bear spotted in southern Illinois
- 3 Army Reserve officers disciplined after reservist killed 18 people last October in Maine
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Pregnant Hailey Bieber Reacts to Justin Bieber Divorce Rumors
- Dubai Princess Shares Photo With 2-Month-Old Daughter After Shocking Divorce
- Video shows aftermath from train derailing, crashing into New York garage
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Carlee Russell Breaks Silence One Year After Kidnapping Hoax
Who could Kamala Harris pick as her VP? Here are 10 potential running mates
Get your hands on Deadpool's 'buns of steel' with new Xbox controller featuring 'cheeky' grip
Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
Horoscopes Today, July 22, 2024
Carpenter bees sting, but here’s why you’ll want them to keep buzzing around your garden
How Benny Blanco Celebrated Hottest Chick Selena Gomez on 32nd Birthday