Current:Home > ScamsMinnesota man is free after 16 years in prison for murder that prosecutors say he didn’t commit -Capitatum
Minnesota man is free after 16 years in prison for murder that prosecutors say he didn’t commit
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:19:54
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A Minnesota man was released from prison after serving 16 years for a murder he did not commit, a local prosecutor announced on Tuesday.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole. But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
A judge approved Barrientos-Quintana’s release last week.
“Nothing can give Mr. Barrientos-Quintana back those 16 years, and for that, we are so sorry,” Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said in a statement on Tuesday. “Our hearts are also with the family of Jesse Mickelson over their irreparable loss. When the criminal legal system does not function ethically, it causes significant harm.”
In a Wednesday ruling vacating Barrientos-Quintana’s convictions and ordering his release, state court Judge John McBride found that Barrientos-Quintana did not receive a fair trial.
Barrientos-Quintana’s attorney failed to effectively represent him and prosecutors didn’t disclose favorable evidence, Moriarty said. Investigators also used coercive lineup tactics and interrogation tactics, resulting in unreliable eyewitness identifications, she added.
Security footage captured Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked McBride to vacate his conviction based on Ellison’s report. In September, Moriarty revealed that Mickelson’s sisters believed Barrientos-Quintana to be innocent and supported his release.
veryGood! (3362)
Related
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- How clutch are the Baltimore Orioles? And what does it mean for their World Series hopes?
- JoAnne Epps, Temple University acting president, dies after collapsing on stage
- Crash site of missing F-35 jet found: How did a stealth fighter go missing?
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Kraft Heinz is recalling some American cheese slices because the wrappers could pose choking hazard
- Former Indiana congressman sentenced to 22 months in prison for insider trading convictions
- After unintended 12-year pause, South Carolina says it has secured drug to resume lethal injections
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Supporters of reparations for Black residents urge San Francisco to push forward
Ranking
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Hyundai rushing to open Georgia plant because of law rewarding domestic electric vehicle production
- Teachers say lack of paid parental leave makes it hard to start a family: Should I even be working here?
- Most of Spain’s female players end boycott of national soccer team after government intervenes
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- New report recommends limiting police pursuits to violent crimes after rise in fatalities
- Inside the delicate art of maintaining America’s aging nuclear weapons
- What to know about Taylor Swift's '1989 (Taylor's Version),' from release to bonus songs
Recommendation
The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
Three great 90s thrillers
'If not now, when?': Here's why the UAW strike may have come at the perfect time for labor
Colts TE Kylen Granson celebrates first NFL touchdown with hilarious baby photoshoot
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Inside the delicate art of maintaining America’s aging nuclear weapons
New Mexico official orders insurance companies to expand timely access to behavioral health services
Azerbaijan and Armenia fight for 2nd day over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh