Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:'Lucky to be his parents': Family mourns student shot trying to enter wrong house -Capitatum
Poinbank:'Lucky to be his parents': Family mourns student shot trying to enter wrong house
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:57:54
A 20-year-old University of South Carolina student was fatally shot Saturday when he accidentally tried to enter the wrong house on Poinbankthe street where he lived and was mistaken for a burglar, according to police.
The student was identified as Nicholas Anthony Donofrio, according to the Richland County, South Carolina, Coroner's Office. Donofrio was from Madison, Connecticut, and had just started his junior year last week at the university, his parents said in a statement.
Donofrio was shot to death early Saturday at a home several blocks from the University of South Carolina in southeast Columbia, according to a statement from the Columbia Police Department.
"We were very proud of Nick. We were lucky to be his parents. He was the son every parent would wish for," Lou and Dina Donofrio said in a statement. "He was loved by his brother, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and extended family. He had a group of friends that were like his brothers. He was funny, smart and compassionate and loved life. We will miss him immeasurably."
The shooting remains under investigation and no charges have been filed. Police have not released the name of the person who shot Donofrio.
The shooting unfolded just before 2 a.m. on the street where Donofrio lived, police said.
"Preliminary information indicates that Donofrio who resided on South Holly Street attempted to enter the wrong home when he was fatally shot," according to the police statement.
Prior to the shooting, police were sent to the home to investigate a report of a burglary in progress, according to the statement.
"While en route, the emergency call for service was upgraded to a shots fired call," police said in the statement.
When officers arrived at the home, they found Donofrio dead on the front porch with a gunshot wound to his upper body, according to police.
MORE: Suspect in alleged racially motivated killing at Jacksonville Dollar General store to be identified: Sheriff
Investigators are consulting with the Fifth Circuit Solicitor’s Office in Columbia regarding the circumstances of the case, according to the police statement.
Classes for the fall semester at the University of South Carolina began on Thursday.
Donofrio's parents told ABC affiliate station WTNH in New Haven, Connecticut, their son was a member of the Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity and was studying applied exercise science. The parents said moved him into an off-campus house last week, adding their son was excited to live with four friends for his junior year.
"Our Student Affairs team is providing resources and support to those who may be affected by this tragedy, and we remind all of our students that help is always available to them," University of South Carolina officials said in a statement.
MORE: Gunshots fired into Florida home, killing 12-year-old
Madison Public Schools officials said Donofrio graduated from Daniel Hand High School in 2021, where he played on the varsity basketball team.
"Nick was an exceptional young man who excelled in the classroom and as an athlete. Our thoughts are with Nick’s family and friends at this time," according to a statement from the school district.
Donofrio's parents said their son also played basketball for the University of New England in Maine during his freshman year, before transferring to the University of South Carolina for his sophomore year.
The family declined to comment about the shooting, saying they are heartbroken.
The shooting comes about four months after a similar shooting in Kansas City, Missouri. Ralph Yarl, 17, was shot in the head and arm on the evening of April 13 when he went to the wrong house to pick up his siblings, according to police.
Andrew Lester, the 84-year-old homeowner who shot Yarl, was arrested and charged with one count of felony assault in the first degree and one count of armed criminal action, also a felony. Lester pleaded not guilty to the charges and was released on April 18 on a $200,000 bond.
According to a probable cause statement obtained by ABC News, Lester told police that he "believed someone was attempting to break into the house" and grabbed a gun before going to the door because he was scared. Lester, who is white, claimed that he saw a "Black male approximately 6 feet tall" pulling on the door handle and "shot twice within a few seconds of opening the door."
veryGood! (5794)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Monsters' Cooper Koch Reveals NSFW Details About Show's Nude Shower Scene
- 11 family members fall ill after consuming toxic mushrooms in Pennsylvania, authorities say
- Bill Belichick has harsh words for Jets owner Woody Johnson during 'Monday Night Football'
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- Sister Wives' Christine Brown's Husband David Woolley Shares Update One Year Into Marriage
- Former officer with East Germany’s secret police sentenced to prison for a border killing in 1974
- Texas edges Oregon for top spot in college football's NCAA Re-Rank 1-134
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Hasan Minhaj, Jessel Taank, Jay Sean stun at star-studded Diwali party
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Video captures worker's reaction when former president arrives at McDonald's in Georgia
- I went to this bougie medical resort. A shocking test result spiked my health anxiety.
- Charlotte Tilbury Spills Celebrity-Approved Makeup Hacks You'll Actually Use, No Matter Your Skill Level
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Two men shot during Pennsylvania assassination attempt on Trump say Secret Service failed them
- Halle Bailey Details “Crippling Anxiety” Over Leaving Son Halo for Work After DDG Split
- New lawsuits accuse Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs of sexual assault against 6 people, including a minor
Recommendation
Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
When will Jonathon Brooks play? Latest injury update on Panthers rookie RB
Paul Mescal Reacts to TikTok Theories About His Alleged One-Night Stands
Tia Mowry and Tamera Mowry’s Candid Confessions May Make You Do a Double Take
Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
More than 400 7-Eleven US stores to close by end of the year
FEMA workers change some hurricane-recovery efforts in North Carolina after receiving threats
Daddy of Em' All: the changing world of rodeo