Current:Home > MyTeen held in fatal 2023 crash into Las Vegas bicyclist captured on video found unfit for trial -Capitatum
Teen held in fatal 2023 crash into Las Vegas bicyclist captured on video found unfit for trial
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:42:42
LAS VEGAS (AP) — One of two teenagers charged with murder in the fatal video-recorded crash of an allegedly stolen car into a bicyclist in Las Vegas last year has been found unfit to stand trial next month.
Court records showed Thursday that a state court judge on Wednesday ordered the teen, now 19, moved from jail in Las Vegas to a secure Nevada psychiatric facility for evaluation, treatment and possible trial if he is found competent. The commitment order suspends criminal charges against him.
His court-appointed public defender, David Westbrook, did not respond Thursday to messages about the case.
The teen and a younger co-defendant, also male, each pleaded not guilty last year to murder and other felony charges alleging they acted together in a series of car thefts and hit-and-run vehicle incidents in August 2023, including the apparently intentional striking of a bicyclist on a quiet northwest Las Vegas street.
The Associated Press is not naming the defendants due to their ages at the time of the alleged crimes.
According to police, the teenagers earlier stole a vehicle, struck a 72-year-old bicyclist with it, and drove away. That man reported knee pain but was not hospitalized.
The bicyclist who died was Andreas “Andy” Probst, 64, a retired former police chief in the city of Bell, outside Los Angeles. His family said he was on a recreational bike ride when video showed he was struck from behind and left fatally injured on the side of the road.
Cellphone video, shot from the front passenger seat of an allegedly stolen vehicle, circulated widely on the internet before Las Vegas police found and arrested the teens.
They are charged as adults under Nevada law that lets suspects age 13 and older be tried in state court on murder or attempted murder charges. They cannot face the death penalty because of their ages. The most severe sentence they could receive if they are convicted of murder is 20 years to life in state prison.
Court records show that the older teen has also pleaded not guilty to attempted murder, battery and attempted robbery charges in a separate case related to a June 2023 stabbing.
It was not immediately clear Thursday if the younger teen will stand trial Nov. 12 as scheduled. A pretrial hearing is scheduled Nov. 5 in Clark County District Court. His attorney, Daniel Hill, did not respond to messages.
veryGood! (94)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Sydney Sweeney reveals she bought back the home her mom, grandma were born in
- Rome court convicts far-right activists for storming union offices to oppose COVID vaccine passes
- Ethiopia and Egypt say no agreement in latest talks over a contentious dam on the Nile
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Artists, books, films that will become free to use in 2024: Disney, Picasso, Tolkien
- Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton are spending New Year's Eve separately. Here's why.
- Deep flaws in FDA oversight of medical devices — and patient harm — exposed in lawsuits and records
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Homicide victim found dead in 1979 near Las Vegas Strip ID’d as missing 19-year-old from Cincinnati
Ranking
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Billy Crystal makes first trip back to Katz's Deli from 'When Harry Met Sally' scene
- The 15 most valuable old toys that you might have in your attic (but probably don’t)
- House Democrats send letter to Biden criticizing Netanyahu's military strategy
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- China showed greater willingness to influence U.S. midterm elections in 2022, intel assessment says
- Overly broad terrorist watchlist poses national security risks, Senate report says
- Dutch bank ING says it is accelerating its shift away from funding fossil fuels after COP28 deal
Recommendation
Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
House Democrats send letter to Biden criticizing Netanyahu's military strategy
Travis Kelce Reacts to Amazing Taylor Swift's Appearance at Chiefs vs. Patriots Game
China showed greater willingness to influence U.S. midterm elections in 2022, intel assessment says
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
America’s animal shelters are overcrowded with pets from families facing economic and housing woes
23-year-old Miami GOP activist accused joining Proud Boys in Jan. 6 riots
A month after House GOP's highly touted announcement of release of Jan. 6 videos, about 0.4% of the videos have been posted online