Current:Home > FinanceWoman accuses Dak Prescott of sexual assault after Cowboys QB sues her on extortion claim -Capitatum
Woman accuses Dak Prescott of sexual assault after Cowboys QB sues her on extortion claim
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 05:00:34
DALLAS (AP) — A woman accusing Dak Prescott of sexual assault has filed a police report over the alleged incident in 2017 after the star quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys sued her on a $100 million extortion claim.
Dallas police said Thursday there was an ongoing investigation after a report was filed earlier this week about an alleged sexual assault that occurred in the parking lot of a strip club in early 2017.
Prescott's attorneys filed the extortion lawsuit in Collin County, north of Dallas, on Monday. Prescott has denied the woman's allegation.
According to the lawsuit, the woman and her attorneys wrote Prescott a letter in which they said the woman wouldn't pursue criminal charges or go public with her claims if Prescott paid her $100 million.
An attorney representing Prescott met last week with police in Prosper, where Prescott lives, and said his client was a possible victim of extortion, The Dallas Morning News reported.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
Prescott is seeking $1 million in damages in his lawsuit against the woman and her attorneys. Prescott's attorney, Levi McCathern, said the quarterback has never had non-consensual sex with anyone.
“Sexual assault is a despicable crime that no person should ever endure,” the lawsuit said. “Defendants’ false claims in this regard undermine the courage of actual sexual assault survivors everywhere as well as the legitimacy of the horrific traumas they have endured.”
The woman told Dallas television station WFAA the incident happened in the back of an SUV after she left the bar where she worked with Prescott and some of his friends.
“It’s kind of embarrassing to be honest,” the woman said. “But I didn’t ask for that. I didn’t ask for this to happen to me.”
Yoel Zehaie, one of the woman's attorneys, said Prescott's extortion lawsuit was “a smoke screen to distract from the real topic that should be discussed. And that is that a rape was committed by Dak Prescott.”
Prescott has been the starter for the Cowboys all eight of his seasons, taking over after Tony Romo's preseason injury. He was the 2016 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and has made three Pro Bowls.
During the 2023 season, Prescott was the reigning NFL Man of the Year for his charitable work.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Rubiales crisis fallout sees next UEFA annual meeting moved from Spain to France
- Ukrainian forces launch second missile strike on Crimean city of Sevastopol
- 26-year-old tech CEO found dead in apartment from blunt-force trauma: Police
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Pioneering Black portraitist Barkley L. Hendricks is first artist of color to get solo show at Frick
- Can't buy me love? Think again. New Tinder $500-a-month plan offers heightened exclusivity
- Major Pfizer plant in North Carolina restarts production 10 weeks after tornado damage
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Cuba’s ambassador to the US says Molotov cocktails thrown at Cuban embassy were a ‘terrorist attack’
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Judge refuses to immediately block grant program for Black women entrepreneurs
- Shimano recalls bicycle cranksets in U.S. and Canada after more than 4,500 reports
- 260,000 children’s books including ‘Old MacDonald Had a Farm’ recalled for choking hazard
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Jury convicts man with ties to ‘boogaloo’ movement in 2020 killing of federal security officer
- House GOP prepares four spending bills as shutdown uncertainty grows
- Bachelor Nation's Becca Kufrin and Thomas Jacobs Share Baby Boy's Name and First Photo
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Swiss indict a former employee of trading firm Gunvor over bribes paid in Republic of Congo
Charges dropped against officer in fatal shooting of Eddie Irizarry: Report
8 people sent to the hospital after JetBlue flight to Florida experiences severe turbulence
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Judge refuses to immediately block grant program for Black women entrepreneurs
Jury convicts man with ties to ‘boogaloo’ movement in 2020 killing of federal security officer
Jury convicts man with ties to ‘boogaloo’ movement in 2020 killing of federal security officer