Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-Kim Dotcom loses 12-year fight to halt deportation from New Zealand to face US copyright case -Capitatum
Indexbit-Kim Dotcom loses 12-year fight to halt deportation from New Zealand to face US copyright case
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:02:14
WELLINGTON,Indexbit New Zealand (AP) — Kim Dotcom, founder of the once wildly popular file-sharing website Megaupload, lost a 12-year fight this week to halt his deportation from New Zealand to the U.S. on charges of copyright infringement, money laundering and racketeering.
New Zealand’s Justice Minister Paul Goldsmith divulged Friday that he had decided Dotcom should be surrendered to the U.S. to face trial, capping — for now — a drawn-out legal fight. A date for the extradition was not set, and Goldsmith said Dotcom would be allowed “a short period of time to consider and take advice” on the decision.
“Don’t worry I have a plan,” Dotcom posted on X this week. He did not elaborate, although a member of his legal team, Ira Rothken, wrote on the site that a bid for a judicial review — in which a New Zealand judge would be asked to evaluate Goldsmith’s decision — was being prepared.
The saga stretches to the 2012 arrest of Dotcom in a dramatic raid on his Auckland mansion, along with other company officers. Prosecutors said Megaupload raked in at least $175 million — mainly from people who used the site to illegally download songs, television shows and movies — before the FBI shut it down earlier that year.
Lawyers for the Finnish-German millionaire and the others arrested had argued that it was the users of the site, founded in 2005, who chose to pirate material, not its founders. But prosecutors argued the men were the architects of a vast criminal enterprise, with the Department of Justice describing it as the largest criminal copyright case in U.S. history.
The men fought the order for years — lambasting the investigation and arrests — but in 2021 New Zealand’s Supreme Court ruled that Dotcom and two other men could be extradited. It remained up to the country’s Justice Minister to decide if the extradition should proceed.
Three of Goldsmith’s predecessors did not announce a decision. Goldsmith was appointed justice minister in November after New Zealand’s government changed in an election.
“I have received extensive advice from the Ministry of Justice on this matter” and considered all information carefully, Goldsmith said in his statement.
“I love New Zealand. I’m not leaving,” German-born Dotcom wrote on X Thursday. He did not respond to an Associated Press request for comment.
Two of his former business partners, Mathias Ortmann and Bram van der Kolk, pleaded guilty to charges against them in a New Zealand court in June 2023 and were sentenced to two and a half years in jail. In exchange, U.S. efforts to extradite them were dropped.
Prosecutors had earlier abandoned their extradition bid against a fourth officer of the company, Finn Batato, who was arrested in New Zealand. Batato returned to Germany where he died from cancer in 2022.
In 2015, Megaupload computer programmer Andrus Nomm, of Estonia, pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit felony copyright infringement and was sentenced to one year and one day in U.S. federal prison.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Jermaine Johnson injury update: NY Jets linebacker suffers season-ending injury vs Titans
- Rumer Willis Kisses Mystery Man After Derek Richard Thomas Breakup
- Emmys 2024: See Sofía Vergara, Dylan Mulvaney and More at Star-Studded After-Parties
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Control of the Murdoch media empire could be at stake in a closed-door hearing in Nevada
- Krispy Kreme introduces fall-inspired doughnut collection: See the new flavors
- New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Maine commission considers public flood insurance
Ranking
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- DEA shutting down two offices in China even as agency struggles to stem flow of fentanyl chemicals
- Votes for Cornel West and Claudia De la Cruz will count in Georgia for now
- Sunday Night Football: Highlights, score, stats from Texans' win vs. Bears
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Caitlin Clark breaks WNBA rookie scoring record, Fever star now at 761 points
- Anna Kendrick Says A Simple Favor Director Paul Feig Made Sequel “Even Crazier”
- The Fate of Emily in Paris Revealed After Season 4
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Kirk Cousins' record in primetime games: What to know about Falcons QB's win-loss
Emmys 2024: Sarah Paulson Called Holland Taylor Her “Absolute Rock” and We’re Not OK
Rumer Willis Kisses Mystery Man After Derek Richard Thomas Breakup
Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
Emmys 2024: See Sofía Vergara, Dylan Mulvaney and More at Star-Studded After-Parties
2024 Emmys: Connie Britton and Boyfriend David Windsor Enjoy Rare Red Carpet Date Night
Microsoft solves 365 outage that left thousands unable to access email, Teams, other apps