Current:Home > NewsFlorida prosecutor says 17-year-old suspect in Halloween fatal shootings will be charged as adult -Capitatum
Florida prosecutor says 17-year-old suspect in Halloween fatal shootings will be charged as adult
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 05:52:38
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A 17-year-old suspect in a shooting that killed two people and wounded seven others during a Halloween celebration that drew 75,000 revelers to the streets of downtown Orlando, Florida, last week has been charged as an adult, a prosecutor said Monday.
Jaylen Edgar was charged as an adult with two second-degree murder charges and a count of attempted murder, though the case will be presented before a grand jury, which could decide to up the charges to first-degree murder, said State Attorney Andrew Bain.
“This decision was not made lightly, and only after reviewing all the available evidence,” Bain said at a news conference in Orlando.
Edgar is accused of opening fire during a Halloween street celebration that drew tens of thousands of costumed revelers to downtown Orlando’s bar and restaurant district early Friday. Besides the two men who were killed, an additional seven people were wounded and a woman was trampled as people fled in terror, according to the Orlando Police Department.
One of the Halloween celebrants killed and another who was injured were students at the University of Central Florida in Orlando.
Edgar was tackled at the scene by some of the 100 police officers who were patrolling downtown Orlando.
Among the factors that went into the decision to charge Edgar as an adult were “the brazen nature of the crime” and the fact that multiple people were shot, the prosecutor said.
“To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime,” Bain said. “This was a blatant execution in the middle of our streets, and so that’s something that we can’t have in our community.”
There was no online court docket for Edgar so it couldn’t be determined if he had an attorney. Moreover, the case originated in juvenile court, where records are not public. An email to the Orange County Public Defender’s office seeking information was not immediately returned Monday.
Bain wouldn’t disclose whether authorities knew of a motive and said detectives were still determining how he obtained the handgun.
The Halloween celebration, which is one of the biggest events in downtown Orlando each year, took place about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Orlando’s tourist district, and it primarily attracts central Florida residents.
In response to the shootings, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer last Friday issued a local state of emergency for the downtown entertainment area. Under the weeklong order, alcohol sales will end at midnight, and a curfew will be enforced from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
During past Halloween celebrations, police would close off downtown streets and use dogs to screen for weapons as people walked past entry points, but they stopped doing that after Florida lawmakers passed a permit-less concealed carry law in 2023.
veryGood! (62364)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Ranking
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Recommendation
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Travis Hunter, the 2
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Travis Hunter, the 2