Current:Home > StocksKevin Spacey acquitted of all 9 sexual assault charges by jury in UK trial -Capitatum
Kevin Spacey acquitted of all 9 sexual assault charges by jury in UK trial
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:49:36
A London jury acquitted Kevin Spacey of sexual assault charges Wednesday.
The "House of Cards" actor, 64, was cleared at the conclusion of a four-week long trial that took place in London, beginning June 28. The Academy Award-winner, whose stellar acting career was derailed by sex assault allegations, was accused of sexual offenses against four men in Britain.
Tears rolled down Spacey’s cheeks as the final “not guilty” verdict was read. It was his 64th birthday.
There were nine charges against Spacey, who pleaded not guilty to all, including multiple counts of sexual and indecent assault and one count of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent. He had faced 13 charges until July 19, when the judge removed four counts that duplicated the same allegations under an older statute.
Three men accused the actor of aggressively grabbing their crotches. A fourth, an aspiring actor seeking mentorship, said he awoke to the actor performing oral sex on him after going to Spacey’s London apartment for a beer and either falling asleep or passing out.
The accusations date from 2001 to 2013 and include a period when Spacey — after winning Academy Awards for "The Usual Suspects" and "American Beauty" — had returned to theater, his first love. During most of that period he was artistic director of the Old Vic Theatre in London.
Kevin Spacey UK sexual assault trial:Actor's charges, case explained
During the trial, the actor said he was a "big flirt" who had consensual flings with men and whose only misstep was touching a man’s groin while making a "clumsy pass."
Spacey choked up and became teary eyed in the witness box as he described the emotional and financial turmoil that the U.S. accusations brought and the barrage of criticism that followed on social media.
"My world exploded," Spacey testified. "There was a rush to judgment and before the first question was asked or answered I lost my job, I lost my reputation, I lost everything in a matter of days."
A New York jury last year swiftly cleared Spacey in a $40 million lawsuit by "Star Trek: Discovery" actor Anthony Rapp on allegations dating back three decades.
Spacey had viewed the London case as a chance for redemption, telling German magazine Zeit last month that there were "people right now who are ready to hire me the moment I am cleared of these charges in London."
Contributing: USA TODAY staff, The Associated Press
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Man who allegedly fired shots outside Memphis Jewish school charged with attempted murder
- Getting to Sesame Street (2022)
- CFPB sues auto dealer for illegally locking cars, re-possessing vehicles, other shady activities
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Can dehydration cause fever? What to know about dehydration and symptoms to watch for
- New York City train derailment leaves several passengers with minor injuries
- Florida set to execute inmate James Phillip Barnes in nurse’s 1988 hammer killing
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Police step up security, patrol courthouse ahead of Trump appearance. Follow live updates
Ranking
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- Miko Air Purifiers: Why People Everywhere Are Shopping For This Home Essential
- Truck carrying lemons overturns on New Jersey highway: Police
- Petting other people's dogs, even briefly, can boost your health
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Man arrested after attacking flight attendant with 'sharp object' on plane: Police
- 12 dogs die after air conditioning fails on the way to adoption event
- Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds and More Stars Donate $1 Million to Striking Actors Fund
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
What to know about Tanya Chutkan, the judge randomly assigned to Trump's Jan. 6 case
Doritos recall: Frito-Lay recalls Nacho Cheese chips sold in Pennsylvania for allergy concerns
Miko Air Purifiers: Why People Everywhere Are Shopping For This Home Essential
Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
Police fatally shoot man while trying to arrest him at Wisconsin gas station
DNA leads to true identity of woman at center of bizarre Mom-In-The-Box cold case in California
Tom Brady buys stake in English soccer team Birmingham City