Current:Home > ContactDancers call off strike threat ahead of Olympic opening ceremony, but tensions remain high -Capitatum
Dancers call off strike threat ahead of Olympic opening ceremony, but tensions remain high
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 04:48:48
As the world’s attention turns to France for the 2024 Paris Olympics, performers for the opening ceremony called off their strike notice Wednesday, just two days before the Games’ flagship event.
After negotiations between the SFA-CGT union representing performers, Paris 2024 organizers and Panam 24 (the producers of the opening ceremony) ended in a stalemate and a continued strike notice Tuesday, the union said Wednesday it accepted an offer involving increased pay for performers’ broadcasting rights.
"This period has closed with a victory, which if not total, at least responds to the emergencies raised," the union said in a statement in French.
Although the union said it was suspending its strike notice, its statement noted a failure to resolve its concern involving the lack of accommodations for performers who reside outside of the Paris metropolitan area.
“This remains a strong point of tension,” the statement read.
Meet Team USA: See which athletes made the U.S. Olympic team and where they are from
The IOC and the SFA-CGT union did not immediately respond to requests from USA TODAY for comment.
The union had announced its strike notice for the Olympic and Paralympic Opening Ceremonies in a statement last week citing pay, benefit and treatment disparities between performers and disputes over intellectual property and image rights as the main causes of its grievances.
"While the slogan ‘Doing better together’ is displayed everywhere in the streets of Paris today, we note that our employment conditions have not been discussed together, nor for the better!” SFA-CGT said in French in last week’s statement.
One video posted to X showed approximately 200 performers standing on the bank of the Seine with their fists raised in protest Monday during rehearsals. The Olympic opening ceremony will be held Friday on the Seine, marking the first time the ceremony will be held outside a stadium in modern Olympic history.
The union initially raised its concerns in a June 7 statement, saying dancers had alerted it to contract conditions that they alleged broke the social charter signed by Paris 2024 organizers. A second statement released last week by the union said it was referred to the Olympic Social Charter Committee and it had held prior negotiations with Paris 2024 and Paname 24 on July 3 and 9.
Before Wednesday’s agreement, tensions peaked Tuesday when the entertainment union federation to which SFA-CGT is affiliated announced it planned to maintain its strike notice after negotiations on Tuesday failed to reach a strike-ending agreement.
The entertainment union federation created an online fund Tuesday to financially support any performers who chose to strike.
"While the Olympic Games are heralded a great celebration, it has a bitter taste for all those artists who feel scorned and little considered,” the statement attached to the fundraiser read in French.
Although this dispute reached an agreement, ongoing strike notices from other sectors, including Paris airport workers and taxi drivers, continue to raise concerns for a country known for its labor strikes as the opening ceremony draws closer.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Judge refuses to dismiss Alabama lawsuit over solar panel fees
- Black man details alleged beating at the hands of a white supremacist group in Boston
- Greening of Antarctica is Another Sign of Significant Climate Shift on the Frozen Continent
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Kim Kardashian Defends Lyle Menendez and Erik Menendez From Monsters Label, Calls for Prison Release
- A massive strike at U.S. East and Gulf Coast ports has ended | The Excerpt
- Eminem Shares Emotional Reaction to Daughter Hailie Jade's Pregnancy
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Hawaii nurses union calls new contract a step in the right direction
Ranking
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- Jennifer Hudson gushes about Common and chats with him about marriage: 'You are my joy'
- International fiesta fills New Mexico’s sky with colorful hot air balloons
- ‘Beyond cruel’: Newsom retaliates against this LA suburb for its ban on homeless shelters
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Wilmer Valderrama needs his sweatshirts, early morning runs and 'The Golden Bachelor'
- Mortgage rates are at a two-year low. When should you refinance?
- Melania Trump says she supports abortion rights, putting her at odds with the GOP
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Florida's new homeless law bans sleeping in public, mandates camps for unhoused people
US nuclear weapon production sites violated environmental rules, federal judge decides
Amid Hurricane Helene’s destruction, sports organizations launch relief efforts to aid storm victims
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Garth Brooks accused of rape in lawsuit from hair-and-makeup artist
'Take action now': Inside the race to alert residents of Helene's wrath
SEC, Big Ten moving closer to taking their college football ball home and making billions