Current:Home > StocksFlorida sheriff apologizes for posting photo of dead body believed to be Madeline Soto: Reports -Capitatum
Florida sheriff apologizes for posting photo of dead body believed to be Madeline Soto: Reports
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 08:59:34
The Osceola County Sheriff's Office issued an apology Tuesday after Sheriff Marcos López received backlash online for posting a photo of a dead body on his personal Instagram page believed to be that of missing teen Madeline Soto, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
“On March 2, 2024, a post was made on social media about a community event for seniors," said the sheriff's office, in a statement to the Orlando Sentinel. "In the post, an investigative photo was accidentally included. The photo was immediately removed. We deeply apologize for any confusion or disturbance this may have caused."
"As with any investigation, the information obtained is confidential and any mistaken disclosures will be immediately rectified," the statement added.
The Osceola County Sheriff's office did not immediately respond to USA TODAY's request for comment.
It is illegal to release photos or videos of "the killing of a minor," under Florida law and anyone who "willfully and knowingly" does so would be accused of a third-degree felony. This includes releasing photos of a dead body, without the family's permission.
Madeline Soto case:Boyfriend of Madeline Soto's mom arrested in connection to Florida teen's disappearance
Photo speculated to be Madeline Soto
While the office did not clarify to the Orlando Sentinel who was in the photo, it was widely speculated, based on the clothes, that the photo was of the corpse of 13-year-old Madeline "Maddie" Soto, which was found Friday by Osceola County sheriff's search teams in a wooded area, southeast of Orlando. The teen had been missing for a few days before her body was found. Soto's mother's boyfriend, Stephen Sterns was arrested Wednesday and is considered to be a "prime suspect" in the case.
What happened to Madeline Soto?
Soto went missing on Feb. 26 and was last seen wearing a green sweatshirt, black shorts, and white crocs, the Kissimmee Police Department, the lead investigation agency on her death, said Friday. The Orange County Sheriff's office said that evidence revealed that she was "never dropped off near her school on the morning of February 26".
The last person to see her before her disappearance was Stern, 37, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office. In a post on X, the office said that video evidence showed Stern "discarding items in a dumpster at the family’s Kissimmee apartment complex" at 7:35 a.m. on Feb. 26. Madeline's backpack was later found inside the dumpster by investigators.
Video evidence also showed Sterns returning to the complex with Madeline visible in the car around 8:20 a.m. Authorities believe Soto was already dead at the time.
Sterns was arrested on Feb. 28 for sexual battery and possession of child sexual abuse material.
The Orange County Sheriff's Office said that "disturbing images and videos" were found on Sterns' phone when it was forensically examined. The crimes were determined to have been committed at the family home in Kissimmee.
"The review of his phone also revealed attempts to delete evidence," said the office.
The Kissimmee Police Department did not confirm if Sterns has been charged yet, saying that they "not answering questions or granting interviews at this time."
"The Kissimmee Police Department is working diligently investigating the Madeline Soto case," said spokesperson James Napier. "Our full attention is on this case which is still an open and active investigation."
Sterns is currently being held at the Osceola County Jail without bond. He faces two charges of sexual battery of a minor, including one count for capital sexual battery on a minor under 12, which has a maximum punishment of a death sentence.
Executive director takes selfie with suspect
Meanwhile, Executive Director of the Osceola County Sheriff's Office Nirva Rodríguez, on the same weekend as Lopez, posted a selfie of herself with Sterns on her personal Facebook page, with the caption, written in Spanish, and roughly translated to: “If God’s love has been poured out over your life, don’t allow evil to keep you away from what He has prepared for you."
The Orlando Sentinel said that the photo appears to have been taken a few moments before Sterns was placed in the back of a patrol car. The photo also drew irk online and has since been deleted.
It is not immediately clear if any action is being taken against Lopez and Rodríguez and the Kissimmee Police Department did not comment on the matter.
In an update on Wednesday, the department said that it is "detectives and forensic unit are working tirelessly to uncover the truth behind this heartbreaking incident."
"At this time, we are unable to release any further information as this remains an active and sensitive investigation," said the department, requesting "patience and cooperation during this difficult time."
Saman Shafiq is a trending news reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter @saman_shafiq7.
veryGood! (64)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Lakers sign Bronny James to rookie deal same day as LeBron
- Los Angeles to pay $21M to settle claims over botched fireworks detonation by police 3 years ago
- Judge temporarily blocks Biden administration’s restoration of transgender health protections
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Christina Applegate Shares Her Top Bucket List Items Amid Battle With Multiple Sclerosis
- LA's newest star Puka Nacua prepares for encore of record rookie season
- Experts doubt Trump will get conviction tossed in hush money case despite Supreme Court ruling
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Hurricane Beryl roars toward Mexico after killing at least 7 people in the southeast Caribbean
Ranking
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- 130 degrees: California's Death Valley may soon break world heat record
- Bridgerton Surpasses Baby Reindeer With This Major Milestone
- Homes are unaffordable in 80% of larger U.S. counties, analysis finds
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Maine attorney general announces resource center to aid local opioid settlement spending
- Tour de France Stage 5 results, standings: Mark Cavendish makes history
- California man convicted of murder in 2018 stabbing death of gay University of Pennsylvania student
Recommendation
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
Q&A: How a Land Purchase Inspired by an Unfulfilled Promise Aims to Make People of Color Feel Welcome in the Wilderness
Here’s how Harris could take over Biden’s campaign cash if he drops out and she runs for president
Maryland OKs $50.3M contract for removal of bridge collapse debris
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Trump or Biden? Investors are anxious about the 2024 election. Here's how to prepare
Parent company of Saks Fifth Avenue to buy rival Neiman Marcus for $2.65 billion,
Christian McCaffrey Slams Evil Influencer for Criticizing Olivia Culpo's Wedding Dress