Current:Home > NewsNew York City to end its relationship with embattled migrant services contractor -Capitatum
New York City to end its relationship with embattled migrant services contractor
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 21:07:54
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York City will end its relationship with a medical services company tasked with housing and caring for a recent influx of international migrants, following scrutiny over the company’s lucrative deal with the city and the quality of its humanitarian services.
Mayor Eric Adams’ office on Tuesday said the city would not renew its contract with DocGo before it expires on May 5 and will instead search for a new housing provider for migrants.
DocGo, which previously worked with the city to provide COVID-19 testing, was awarded a $432 million no-bid emergency contract last year to help the city manage a massive new population of migrants.
The arrangement drew questions from city Comptroller Brad Lander, who in reviewing the contract determined there wasn’t enough detail to justify the cost and that it wasn’t clear how the company had the expertise to transport, house and feed thousands of migrants.
News reports from the New York Times and Albany Times Union also detailed alleged mistreatment of migrants under the company’s care, including issues with health care and food waste, among other things. Its chief executive officer resigned after he admitted to lying about his educational record.
DocGo currently provides care for 3,600 migrants, half in the city and half in upstate New York, officials said.
The company will continue to provide services for migrants who were relocated upstate until a new vendor is picked. The city will use an existing contract with the company Garner Environmental Services to care for migrants in the metropolitan area, until another vendor is selected.
“This will ultimately allow the city to save more money and will allow others, including non-profits and internationally-recognized resettlement providers, to apply to do this critical work, and ensures we are using city funds efficiently and effectively,” Camille Joseph Varlack, chief of staff for the mayor, said in a statement.
In a statement, a DocGo spokesperson said the company is “immensely proud of the exceptional work that our team has accomplished and continues to perform in aiding the City’s response to this unprecedented crisis.”
New York has struggled to handle an influx of international migrants who have arrived in the city since 2022, with more than 187,000 people coming through its intake system seeking shelter.
Politico first reported the news of the city declining to renew its contract with DocGo.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- A timeline of the complicated relations between Russia and North Korea
- The search for Cyprus’ missing goes high-tech as time weighs on loved ones waiting for closure
- Ukraine claims to recapture Black Sea oil platforms seized during Crimea’s annexation
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Novak Djokovic wins U.S. Open, tying Margaret Court's all-time record of 24 major titles
- Sentencing delayed for a New Hampshire man convicted of running an unlicensed bitcoin business
- US and UK holding UN screening of documentary on Russia’s siege of Ukrainian city of Mariupol
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- Court convicts Portuguese hacker in Football Leaks trial and gives him a 4-year suspended sentence
Ranking
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Novak Djokovic wins U.S. Open, tying Margaret Court's all-time record of 24 major titles
- Passenger's dog found weeks after it escaped, ran off on Atlanta airport tarmac
- Stock market today: Asian shares trade mixed after Big Tech rally on Wall Street
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Chris Jones ends holdout, returns to Kansas City Chiefs on revised contract
- Joe Jonas tells fans he's had a 'crazy week' after filing for divorce from Sophie Turner
- MLB power rankings: Even the most mediocre clubs just can't quit NL wild card chase
Recommendation
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
J.M. Smucker to buy Hostess for $5.6 billion
Fantasy football stock watch: Gus Edwards returns to lead role
US moves to advance prisoner swap deal with Iran and release $6 billion in frozen Iranian funds
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Poland says it won’t lift its embargo on Ukraine grain because it would hurt its farmers
What do deadlifts work? Understanding this popular weight-training exercise.
World War II veteran from Rhode Island identified using DNA evidence