Current:Home > MyTrendPulse|Residents of northern Australia batten down homes, businesses ahead of Tropical Cyclone Kirrily -Capitatum
TrendPulse|Residents of northern Australia batten down homes, businesses ahead of Tropical Cyclone Kirrily
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 06:04:27
BRISBANE,TrendPulse Australia (AP) — Residents have begun battening down homes and businesses with Tropical Cyclone Kirrily forecast to cross the Australian northeast coast on Thursday, bringing destructive winds and flooding rain.
Authorities said the storm system was still tracking west across the Coral Sea and that gusts of 140 kph (87 mph) are forecast as the cyclone crossed the mainland on Thursday night.
“It’s still making a pretty direct track for Townsville, but it is picking up speed along with its strength as well,” Miriam Bradbury from the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) said to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Wednesday.
The Bureau said the cyclone would bring intense rainfall that could cause “dangerous and life threatening flash flooding,” and storm tides between Townsville and Mackay which would exacerbate flooding.
More than 100 schools in the affected region were closed on Thursday, the Queensland state government said, while several Australia Day national holiday celebrations scheduled for Friday had been cancelled.
Several airlines have cancelled their flights to and from Townsville and Hamilton Island, and Queensland Rail services north of Rockhampton had been suspended in anticipation of the severe weather.
Residents and guests of the popular tourist destination of Hamilton Island have been asked to stay indoors as the cyclone passes. A community refuge center had been opened on the island to provide shelter.
The storm system is expected to move into inland regions of Queensland from Friday, bringing heavy rain and increased likelihood of flooding.
The Queensland government said extra emergency services crews, specializing in flood rescues, have also been deployed, but residents still needed to prepare.
“We’re prepared and ready for the worst, now we wait and hope for the best,” Queensland state premier Steven Miles told reporters in Brisbane.
“Our message to Queenslanders is now is the time to make sure that you’re ready,” he said. “Make sure your emergency kit is stocked. Make sure that you have enough essential items to potentially have to get through days without power.”
It’s the second cyclone in as many months to hit the region, which was lashed in December by Tropical Cyclone Jasper, the first tropical cyclone of the Australian season, which spans the hot southern hemisphere months of November to April.
veryGood! (81571)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- 8-year-old Utah boy dies after shooting himself in car while mother was inside convenience store
- COVID-19 government disaster loans saved businesses, but saddled survivors with debt
- Explosion levels southwest Louisiana home, killing teen from Alabama and injuring 5
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Horoscopes Today, September 1, 2024
- Rory Feek Denies “Cult” Ties and Allegations of Endangering Daughter Indiana
- Kristin Cavallari Shares Why She’s Having the Best Sex of Her Life With Mark Estes
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Roger Federer understands why there are questions about US Open top seed Jannik Sinner’s doping case
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Gwyneth Paltrow Shines a Light on Family Summer Memories With Ex Chris Martin and Their Kids
- Southeast South Dakota surges ahead of Black Hills in tourism revenue
- Southeast South Dakota surges ahead of Black Hills in tourism revenue
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Nation's largest Black Protestant denomination faces high-stakes presidential vote
- Joshua Jackson Shares Rare Insight Into Bond With His and Jodie Turner-Smith's 4-Year-Old Daughter
- Human remains found in Indiana in 1993 are identified as a South Carolina native
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Commander of Navy warship relieved of duty months after backward rifle scope photo flap
Florida State coach Mike Norvell addresses 'failure' of stunning 0-2 start
Alabama sets mid-October execution date for man who killed 5 in ax and gun attack
Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
Jardin Gilbert targeting call helps lead to USC game-winning touchdown vs LSU
Team USA's Rebecca Hart, Fiona Howard win gold in Paralympics equestrian
Human remains found in Indiana in 1993 are identified as a South Carolina native