Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-Prosecutor removed from YNW Melly murder trial after defense accusations of withholding information -Capitatum
SignalHub-Prosecutor removed from YNW Melly murder trial after defense accusations of withholding information
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 10:27:23
FORT LAUDERDALE,SignalHub Fla. (AP) — A South Florida judge removed the lead prosecutor in the double murder retrial of rapper YNW Melly on Thursday after defense attorneys claimed prosecutors didn’t reveal that the lead detective in the case had been previously accused of being willing to lie as he gathered evidence.
Broward Circuit Court Judge John Murphy granted the defense’s motion to recuse prosecutor Kristine Bradley in an abundance of caution. The judge didn’t find that Bradley’s integrity had been comprised but agreed that she couldn’t serve as a prosecutor on the case if the defense was planning to call her as a witness regarding the credibility of one of the investigators.
Jury selection is set to begin next week, and no replacement for Bradley was immediately announced.
Last week, attorneys for Melly, whose legal name is Jamell Demons, asked Murphy to remove the Broward State Attorney’s Office from the case and potentially dismiss the case entirely. The request came after Assistant State Attorney Michelle Boutros, who works for the Broward office, testified that she overheard the lead investigator in the case against Demons, Mark Moretti, ask a Broward County deputy to lie about being present when Moretti executed a search warrant outside his jurisdiction last October, forcibly seizing a phone from Demons’ mother as part of a witness tampering investigation.
Defense attorney Jamie Benjamin said that information should have been turned over to the defense because they could have used it to discredit Moretti during Demons’ recent murder trial, which ended in July with a hung jury.
Prosecutors say the exchange between Moretti and the deputy was a joke, pointing to the fact that an attorney for Demons’ mother was present when her phone was taken and would have known the deputy wasn’t there.
Demons’ first murder trial ended with a 9-3 vote for conviction.
Melly faces a possible death sentence if convicted of first-degree murder in the 2018 slayings of two childhood friends, Christopher “YNW Juvy” Thomas and Anthony “YNW Sakchaser” Williams. Their stage names all include “YNW” because they belonged to the same hip-hop collective. It stands for “Young New Wave” or another phrase that includes a racial slur.
Prosecutors say Melly, after a late-night recording session, shot Thomas and Williams inside an SUV and he and Cortlen “YNW Bortlen” Henry then tried to make it look like a drive-by shooting. The 24-year-old rapper remains jailed without bond. Melly’s biggest hit, “Murder on My Mind,” reached No. 14 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2019.
veryGood! (956)
Related
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Leftover Halloween candy? We've got you covered with these ideas for repurposing sweets
- Takeaways from AP’s reporting on Chinese migrants who traverse the Darién Gap to reach the US
- A 5.4 magnitude earthquake has shaken Jamaica with no immediate reports of casualties or damage
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- New Slovakia’s government announces a massive deployment at the Hungarian border to curb migration
- Stock market today: Asian shares slip after S&P 500 slips ahead of Fed interest rate decision
- Adele Pays Tribute to Matthew Perry at Las Vegas Concert Hours After His Death
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- She talked about depression at a checkup — and got billed for two visits.
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Takeaways from AP’s reporting on Chinese migrants who traverse the Darién Gap to reach the US
- Going to bat for bats
- Live updates | Israel deepens military assault in the northern Gaza Strip
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Poland's boogeyman, Bebok, is reimagined through a photographer's collaboration with local teenagers
- Busted boats, stronger storms: Florida fishers face warming waters
- Death toll lowered to 7 in Louisiana super fog highway crashes involving 160 vehicles
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
California’s commercial Dungeness crab season delayed for the sixth year in a row to protect whales
GM, UAW reach tentative deal to end labor strike after weeks of contract negotiations
Agreement reached to end strike that shut down a vital Great Lakes shipping artery for a week
British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
Ex-cop who fired into Breonna Taylor’s apartment in flawed, fatal raid goes on trial again
Credit card interest rates are at a record high. Here's what you can do to cut debt.
Climb aboard four fishing boats with us to see how America's warming waters are changing