Current:Home > ScamsEthermac|What to know about the state trooper accused of 'brutally assaulting' a 15-year-old -Capitatum
Ethermac|What to know about the state trooper accused of 'brutally assaulting' a 15-year-old
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 03:27:54
A Delaware state trooper is Ethermacfacing multiple felony charges for "brutally assaulting" a 15-year-old and fracturing his orbital socket in response to an apparent doorbell prank, according to Delaware Attorney General Kathy Jennings.
A grand jury indicted 29-year-old Dempsey Walters on felony deprivation of civil rights -- the first use of a new statute -- felony assault, two counts of misdemeanor assault and two counts of misdemeanor official misconduct. He has been suspended without pay.
"When Dempsey Walters’ actions were uncovered through a DSP internal body-worn camera review, we immediately suspended him and initiated a criminal investigation. Since then, we have been working tirelessly with the Delaware Attorney General’s office to pursue justice," Col. Melissa Zebley, superintendent of the Delaware State Police, said.
"This indictment is a stark reminder that all citizens of this great state will be held accountable for their actions," Zebley said.
Walters' lawyers did not immediately respond to a request for comment from ABC News.
MORE: 2 found dead after plane crash launched massive search
Timeline of events
On Aug. 17, Walters was off duty and returning to his residence when he got into a verbal altercation with a 17-year-old. Walters contacted Elsmere Police Department. The minor was driven home and turned over to his mother without being arrested, according to the attorney general's office.
The next day, Walters looked up the minor on the law enforcement database, according to the attorney general's office.
On the evening on Aug. 21, Walters was on duty when a 15-year-old and his three friends were walking past Walters' residence and decided to play a prank, the attorney general's office said. The 15-year-old ran up to Walters' house, covering his face, and kicked the door before running off, authorities said.
Walters' girlfriend called him and described the 15-year-old, telling him the teenagers had fled, according to the attorney general. Walters drove to his neighborhood and called DSP troopers and other police departments for assistance.
MORE: Suspect arrested in murder of Baltimore tech CEO Pava LaPere
After hearing the 15-year-old and his friends were found and detained, he drove to their location, the attorney general's office said. The 15-year-old was face down on the ground with a different trooper attempting to handcuff him when Walter dropped his knee onto the back of the 15-year-old's head, causing injury and for him to scream in distress, according to the attorney general's office.
"Trooper Walters abused his position in a case of State sanctioned swatting. Punching a handcuffed, defenseless, 15-year-old in the face is an act of brutality and vengeance. Dropping a knee on the neck of a child is illegal and unconscionable, especially when a child begs for his mommy and none of the officers intervene," Sam Davis, one of the attorneys for the teens, said in a statement.
Walters then turned off his body-worn camera and walked up to the 15-year-old, who was handcuffed and in a police vehicle, and punched him in the face, fracturing his right eye socket, according to the attorney general's office. Walters then walked around the police vehicle and turned his body-worn camera back on, the attorney general said.
"As a mother and grandmother, the footage in this case is hard to watch. As a prosecutor, the constitutional violations are stunning," Jennings said.
According to the attorney general's office, the body-worn cameras capture 30 seconds of buffer video when the camera is activated. Because the camera was off for less than 30 seconds, Walters' body-worn camera captured footage of the incident.
MORE: Ghost guns found at licensed Manhattan day care: Police
"Over the course of the evening, the Defendant chose to extract his own form of personal justice by embarking on a violent rampage, assaulting two defenseless minors, and attempting to conceal his misconduct. He will now face criminal consequences for his actions," Jennings said.
Walters is currently free on bond, according to victims' lawyers.
The victims' lawyers claim Walters "fabricated a story of a home invasion in his home, in order to embark on a personal vendetta and extract violence against the local teenagers."
"Witnesses who saw the incident indicate that Trooper Walters and other officers acted unjustifiably and unreasonably towards the teenagers and the families that evening," the lawyers said in a statement. "The families’ Attorneys are grateful for the swift investigation and prosecution against Trooper Walters, and look forward to a continued ongoing investigation against any and all officers who aided and abetted in the heinous crimes against the teenagers on the evening of August 21, 2023."
veryGood! (5554)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- RHOP's Candiace Dillard Bassett Gives Birth, Shares First Photos of Baby Boy
- Zendaya Shares When She Feels Extra Safe With Boyfriend Tom Holland
- Flurry of contract deals come as railroads, unions see Trump’s election looming over talks
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Rep. Michael McCaul of Texas says he was detained in airport over being ‘disoriented’
- Quincy Jones' Cause of Death Revealed
- Kendall Jenner Is Back to Being a Brunette After Ditching Blonde Hair
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- Old Navy's Early Black Friday Deals Start at $1.97 -- Get Holiday-Ready Sweaters, Skirts, Puffers & More
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Get $103 Worth of Tatcha Skincare for $43.98 + 70% Off Flash Deals on Elemis, Josie Maran & More
- Why Josh O'Connor Calls Sex Scenes Least Sexy Thing After Challengers With Zendaya and Mike Faist
- Insurance magnate pleads guilty as government describes $2B scheme
- 3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
- Disease could kill most of the ‘ohi‘a forests on Hawaii’s Big Island within 20 years
- Cold case arrest: Florida man being held in decades-old Massachusetts double murder
- Infowars auction could determine whether Alex Jones is kicked off its platforms
Recommendation
Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
Incredible animal moments: Watch farmer miraculously revive ailing chick, doctor saves shelter dogs
Incredible animal moments: Watch farmer miraculously revive ailing chick, doctor saves shelter dogs
Jessica Simpson's Husband Eric Johnson Steps Out Ringless Amid Split Speculation
Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
Republican Scott Baugh concedes to Democrat Dave Min in critical California House race
American arrested in death of another American at luxury hotel in Ireland
Larry Hobbs, who guided AP’s coverage of Florida news for decades, has died at 83