Current:Home > MyJudge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial -Capitatum
Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-05 18:46:58
NEW YORK (AP) — A former high-ranking Mexican official tried to bribe fellow inmates into making false statements to support his bid for a new trial in a U.S. drug case, a judge found Wednesday in rejecting Genaro García Luna ‘s request.
García Luna, who once held a cabinet-level position as Mexico’s top public safety official, was convicted last year of taking payoffs to protect the drug cartels he was supposed to go after. He is awaiting sentencing and denies the charges.
Prosecutors discovered his alleged jailhouse bribery efforts and disclosed them in a court filing earlier this year, citing such evidence as a former cellmate’s handwritten notes and covert recording of a conversation with García Luna. His lawyers said the allegations were bogus and the recording was ambiguous.
But U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan found them believable.
“This was a clear scheme by defendant to obstruct justice through bribery,” Cogan wrote.
He also turned down defense lawyers’ other arguments for a new trial, including assertions that some prosecution witness gave false testimony at trial and that the defense wasn’t given some potentially helpful information that prosecutors were obliged to turn over.
“We are extraordinarily disappointed with the court’s decision,” defense lawyer César de Castro said, adding that “the court did not address fundamental problems with this prosecution.”
García Luna plans to appeal, his lawyer said.
Prosecutors declined to comment on Wednesday’s decision.
After the verdict, defense attorneys submitted a sworn statement from an inmate who said he got to know a prosecution witness at a Brooklyn federal jail before García Luna’s trial.
The inmate said that the witness vowed he was “going to screw” García Luna by testifying against him, and that the witness talked on a contraband cellphone to a second government witness.
Defense lawyers said the alleged comments buttressed their claim that García Luna was framed by cartel members and corrupt officials seeking leniency for themselves. The purported cellphone conversations also could have contradicted prosecutors’ argument that the witnesses were credible because they hadn’t talked in years, so couldn’t have coordinated their stories.
But prosecutors said in a March court filing that the inmate who gave the sworn statement has a psychotic disorder with hallucinations. In government interviews, the witnesses denied the alleged communications, according to prosecutors.
And, they said, García Luna, who’s at the same Brooklyn lockup, offered other inmates as much as $2 million to make similar claims about communications among the witnesses. He also asked one of the inmates to persuade yet another to say he’d overheard a cellphone conversation involving the second government witness about concocting a false claim of having bribed García Luna, according to prosecutors.
The intermediary, whom defense lawyers identified as a former García Luna cellmate, made the notes and recording.
The judge concluded that García Luna’s lawyers didn’t know about his endeavors.
García Luna, 56, was convicted on charges that include engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise. He faces at least 20 years and as much as life in prison at his sentencing Oct. 9.
García Luna was Mexico’s public security secretary from 2006 to 2012.
veryGood! (81)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Recommendation
Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam