Current:Home > ContactLow-income subway, bus and commuter rail riders in Boston could be getting cheaper fares -Capitatum
Low-income subway, bus and commuter rail riders in Boston could be getting cheaper fares
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 23:36:13
BOSTON (AP) — Tens of thousands of lower income riders who rely on greater Boston’s public transit system could soon be getting a break on their fares under a plan approved by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s board of directors.
The vote was a big win for advocates who have long pushed for reduced fares. The proposal adopted Thursday would offer riders who are aged 26-64, non-disabled, and have lower incomes reduced fares of about 50% off on all MBTA modes, including subway and bus services.
The program also applies to the commuter rail. MBTA officials said they hope that will help make it more affordable to commute into Boston for individuals living in some of the state’s former industrial cities and towns.
Those who rely on the RIDE, the MBTA’s paratransit service, including seniors, will also benefit.
The fare changes are expected to go into effect this summer.
Those hoping to participate in the program will have to demonstrate their eligibility by showing they are already enrolled in other programs with a cutoff of 200% of the federal poverty level — about $30,000 annually or lower for an individual.
The MBTA estimates the cost of the changes to be up to $62 million including administrative costs, operating costs to meet demand, and fare revenue loss.
Based on earlier research, low income riders are expected to take 30% more trips with a reduced fare, significantly increasing mobility while saving on transportation costs, according to the MBTA.. More than 60,000 riders are expected to enroll in the program, which is expected to result in up to 8 million more trips per year.
The MBTA already has discounted fare programs for students and people aged 65 and older.
MBTA General Manager and CEO Phillip Eng said the transit agency is committed to making “meaningful improvements for riders, including making fares more affordable, which will improve quality of life, boost economic mobility, and encourage more riders to return to the system.”
Democratic Gov. Maura Healey supports the idea. Healey last year including a $5 million line item in her proposed state budget to help the MBTA begin laying the groundwork for a means-tested fare program.
During her 2022 campaign, Healey also pledged to pursue “low-income fares and unlimited bus transfers, as well as outlining a pathway to fare-free buses throughout the commonwealth.”
Former Gov. Charlie Baker had opposed similar efforts, citing concerns about pushing a reduced fare program at a time when the MBTA is facing a host of other challenges. He had also said he had concerns about how the system would make up for lost revenue.
Boston has been lagging behind other cities, including New York City, which offers lower income New Yorkers a 50% discount on subway and eligible bus fares, and San Francisco, which offers a 50% discount to those with an annual incomes at or below 200% of the federal poverty level.
Boston Mayor Michelle Wu has pushed for free MBTA fares. Wu gave the green light to three free MBTA bus routes in Boston with the city picking up the tab.
The program, which was set to expire at the end of February has been extended through March, 2026, with the city relying on federal American Rescue Plan Act money to fund the rides.
The bus routes run along some of the highest ridership bus corridors in the City of Boston, with over half of riders classified as low income, according to Wu.
Advocates have pointed to a 2019 Massachusetts Institute of Technology study that found low-income riders who received a 50% discounted fare took more trips than lower-income riders paying a regular fare, including more trips related to health care and social services.
veryGood! (42)
Related
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Social media platform Bluesky nearing 25 million users in continued post
- TikTok asks Supreme Court to review ban legislation, content creators react: What to know
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- How Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Allen Navigate Their Private Romance on Their Turf
- Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
- Atmospheric river and potential bomb cyclone bring chaotic winter weather to East Coast
Ranking
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- Trump says Kari Lake will lead Voice of America. He attacked it during his first term
- Biden and Tribal Leaders Celebrate Four Years of Accomplishments on Behalf of Native Americans
- Only about 2 in 10 Americans approve of Biden’s pardon of his son Hunter, an AP
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- What is Sora? Account creation paused after high demand of AI video generator
- Is that Cillian Murphy as a zombie in the '28 Years Later' trailer?
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Recommendation
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Apple, Android users on notice from FBI, CISA about texts amid 'massive espionage campaign'
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Krispy Kreme's 'Day of the Dozens' offers 12 free doughnuts with purchase: When to get the deal
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
GM to retreat from robotaxis and stop funding its Cruise autonomous vehicle unit
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Horoscopes Today, December 11, 2024