Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-Flowers, candles, silence as Serbia marks the 1st anniversary of mass shooting at a Belgrade school -Capitatum
TradeEdge-Flowers, candles, silence as Serbia marks the 1st anniversary of mass shooting at a Belgrade school
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 23:59:21
BELGRADE,TradeEdge Serbia (AP) — Hundreds of people laid flowers and lit candles on Friday to commemorate the victims of Serbia’s first-ever school shooting a year ago that left nine children and a school guard dead and six people wounded.
A somber, silent queue formed on a rainy day outside the Vladislav Ribnikar Elementary School in central Belgrade where a 13-year-old boy is accused of opening fire at his schoolmates with his father’s guns last year.
The shooting stunned Serbia. The Balkan nation was no stranger to violent crime, but mass shootings are rare, and none had taken place at a school before.
Just a day later, a shooting rampage outside the capital further shocked the country. A 20-year-old man was accused of killing nine and wounding 12 others, mostly young people.
Friday’s vigil formally started at 8:41 a.m., the time of the school shooting last year. Serbian television stations interrupted their broadcasts, showing the text “We remember” on a black screen.
The all-day event near the school also included art installations, a panel discussion and short films about the victims. The street where the school is located is closed to traffic.
The event was titled “Awakening,” a call for introspection in a nation that is yet to come to terms with its role in multiple wars in the 1990s and the culture of violence that has prevailed ever since.
Ninela Radicevic, a mother of a victim, told The Associated Press ahead of the anniversary that society and the government had “rushed to forget” the tragedy. Radicevic, who lost her 11-year-old daughter Ana Bozovic in the shooting, said she hoped Serbia can prevent such a horrific crime from happening again.
“We have missed many chances to react better... (but) I think it is never too late to pause ... and to try not to make the same mistakes in the future,” said psychology professor Aleksandar Baucal, who is part of a team behind the commemoration.
The slain children’s parents have fought to have the school closed and turned into a memorial center. They’ve organized protests, remembrance events and testified about their ordeal to promote awareness among the public.
Serbia’s populist government launched a gun crackdown after the shooting, collecting about 80,000 weapons and rounds of ammunition. State-backed support teams offered counseling and police officers were deployed outside schools for security.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said on Instagram after paying respects Friday that the “unthinkable tragedy has left a permanent scar on the soul of our entire nation.”
Suspects in both of the shootings were apprehended. The alleged school shooter’s parents went on trial in January, charged with teaching their underage son to shoot and with not securing the weapons at the family home. The trial is continuing. The boy has been held in an institution since the attack.
The trial of the other suspect and his father is to start later this month in the central town of Smederevo.
Shock and anger because of the shootings triggered months of street protests demanding the resignations of top officials and a ban on media that spew hate speech and intolerance.
veryGood! (669)
Related
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Going for a day hike? How to prepare, what to bring
- US Supreme Court Justice Jackson to speak at church bombing anniversary in Birmingham
- Free People Flash Sale: Save 66% On Dresses, Jumpsuits, Pants, and More
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Woman escapes kidnapper's cell in Oregon; FBI searching for more victims in other states
- Police officer in South Carolina killed by Amtrak train while rescuing someone who called 911
- Drexel University mourns death of men's basketball player, Terrence Butler
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Review: 'Heartstopper' Season 2 is the beautiful and flawed queer teen story we need
Ranking
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Maine lighthouse featured in 'Forrest Gump' struck by lightning; light damaged
- 'A violation of our sovereignty': 2 bodies found in Rio Grande, one near a floating barrier
- Woman, toddler son among 4 people shot standing on sidewalk on Chicago’s South Side
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Florida set to execute inmate James Phillip Barnes in nurse’s 1988 hammer killing
- 'A violation of our sovereignty': 2 bodies found in Rio Grande, one near a floating barrier
- Museum in New York state returns remains of 19 Native Americans to Oneida Indian Nation
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
USWNT captain Lindsey Horan dismisses Carli Lloyd's criticism as noise: 'You have no idea'
Hurry, the Ulta Sale Ends Tonight: Save Up to 50% On Olaplex, Philosophy, MAC, and More
Keep quiet, put down the phone: Bad behavior in blockbusters sparks theater-etiquette discussion
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
An 87-year-old woman fought off an intruder, then fed him after he told her he was ‘awfully hungry’
Two lots of Tydemy birth control pills are under recall. The FDA warns of ‘reduced effectiveness’
U.S. Women’s World Cup tie with Portugal draws overnight audience of 1.35 million on Fox